Arles - St. Rémy - The Grand Tour - 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2023

Arles - St. Rémy

Wednesday, May 10: I think I'll be doing brief recaps with pictures. We have a couple of rest days in Durfort where we are seeing friends from old times when we were here with my sister. Internet sloooow here but I'll try.

Goodbye to our pretty hotel and hello to our first day on the road with Susan. It's exhilerating to be riding -  the brilliant sky, the sun-bathed beige stone facades and dusty blue shutters, Scotch broom scenting the air - we are here with all our senses and loving it.

The Team
Heart 8 Comment 1
We're on our way!
Heart 5 Comment 0
First stop for some culture - an ancient abbey whose name and dates I don't have to remember
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike AylingLooks like it is closed for renovations!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

The road we're on cuts through the path of a Roman aqueduct that we want to stop for and ponder and wonder at these architectural feats of so long ago. I have to refer you to Susan's journal if you want the concrete facts. What a favor she has done by providing all the information.

We stop for pictures at the remains of a Roman aqueduct.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Susan and I have a few little sandwiches with us pilfered from the breakfast table and water, not much but better than nothing. So although we don't pass many places to stop for refreshment of any kind and the ones we do see are closed, either because it's a holiday or because it's Monday or both, we won't starve. I even have one more sandwich from home which Janos appreciates.  

Our lunch stop
Heart 3 Comment 0
The original sandwiches from home three days ago - now only one half sandwich left, which Janos gets, and a hard boiled egg for each of us.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLooks tasty! :)
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 6 Comment 0

The second half of the day outdoes the first half. We climb up to the foot of Les Beaux, perched high up, and continue on with beautiful views over the countryside and through charming villages.

Because it's a holiday and the sun is shining and Les Beaux is a tourist attraction, the road leading up is lined with cars and the village is probably teeming with visitors. We decide not to climb up further by foot on the little streets but stay on our bikes on the road below and give the quaint village a miss this time around.

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
We are surprised to see lavender blooming already - but it isn't lavender. We identify the scent as thyme.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooAhh I bet that is what I saw too. Thanks for the insight.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Too early for check-in means it's ice cream time in St. Rémy. Then we backtrack to our charming hotel, just a bit outside the old town, and after the usual post-ride ritual and relaxing, are off to dinner. I'm not  hungry enough for an entrée - until I see they have oysters. I don't want to miss the opportunity and Susan and I indulge. An elegant finish to our first day together.

We hope for more comfortable stays like this one. We have no stairs and the bicycles are safe outside our door.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Susan's bike stashed away for the night - and a mail box for Scott.
Heart 6 Comment 1
She's heading for the swimming pool.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 34 km (21 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGreat first day!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago