Sarlat to Cénac-et-Saint-Julien - French Fling - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2019

Sarlat to Cénac-et-Saint-Julien

Definitely not as planned!

The plan today was to check out the Wednesday market in Sarlat and then get on our bikes for a 36 km ride that included side trips to see the bastide of Domme and the Châteaux de Beynac et Castelnaud.  The forecast was for rain but we were hoping it wasn't going to be too heavy.

We started out as planned. The market was interesting and we bought some strawberries and cheese--and then realized we might be opting for a restaurant lunch if the weather was bad.  We went through the gigantic doors of the former church of Sainte-Marie to the covered part of the market and were surprised how small the interior is, especially given the size of the doors.

View of the Sarlat Wednesday market from our breakfast room. Note the big doors to the former church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Going into the covered part of the market through those big doors. You can see the far wall; the church wasn't nearly as big as its doors might imply.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What's in season?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two kinds of strawberries. Another vendor had four kinds. We like the long pointy ones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local products
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of different saucissons!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Al bought some dried fruit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I thought this nougat was pretty!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'd never heard of summer truffles. Not as strong a flavour, says the vendor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This statue seems to be a symbol of Sarlat. He was sitting not far from the door to our accommodation. He's called Le Badaud (the onlooker) but one source I read said he's a poet who lived here once.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had modified our plan last night to take the Voie Verte to Carsac and then the green-highlighted skinny yellow (better than wide yellow) D703 to join our planned route.  It was a bit of a challenge to find the Voie Verte but we did and we had it mostly to ourselves on this rainy holiday.  (May 8 is VE Day and celebrated with a national holiday in France.)

Loaded up and ready to go. (Al's photo)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our next challenge was leaving the Voie Verte in Carsac.  Somehow we missed the sign and Garmin was no help. We finally got it to cooperate and D703 was beautiful with low traffic.  Unfortunately, it was difficult to enjoy it properly in the rain and just as we got to Montfort, thinking of a short break, the deluge started. We had stopped just at the driveway to a small "non-stop" "omeletterie" so decision made. We put our bikes on the covered terrasse (nobody would be sitting there today) and went in. There was an actual fire in the fireplace!  It was just noon so we had lunch (omelette for Al and soup for me) with a little wine and coffee after.  The rain had stopped just before we got the coffee but by the time we'd finished, it was pouring again.

Château de Montfort seen through the rain from the Cingle de Montfort viewpoint.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Château de Montfort as seen from our lunch stop, during a lull in the rain.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We waited a while until the rain lessened (it's all relative) and headed out.  There are two bridges across the Dordogne in this area, one for D46E3 (white) and one for D46 (yellow).  Our original route was the yellow road so we went that way and took D49 up to Domme.  This is the route specified for buses and trucks so was (almost) two lanes wide. Traffic was light so no problem.

As you might or might not know, Domme is on top of a hill.  Riding up, Al pulled away as usual and I expected to find him waiting for me at the top.  However, I heard him call to me a couple hundred metres from the top.  A flat.  He was in a flat unpaved clearing off the road (better than at the side of a narrow road) but there was no shelter from the rain.

Unfortunately this was not an ordinary puncture.  The sidewall of the tire had split lengthwise, just by the bead, with the tear almost 2" long.  The hole in the tube was a starburst and I'm not sure whether these had lined up.  In any case, he tried two different tire boots and neither would stick.  Yes, we dried the inside of the tire!  We tried my Tear Aid tape but it wouldn't stick either.  Next we tried using a tube patch but it wouldn't stick.  Yes, we used fresh glue and waited for it to be tacky!

Out of options, we transferred Al's panniers to my front rack which I'd put on when I assembled my bike because I'll need it for my camping gear and because its hoop is the only place I can mount a front light.  We walked the rest of the way up the hill to Domme with Al carrying his bike. 

While walking, I saw a sign for the Office de Tourisme.  I guessed that to score a job there in a place like Domme (where the only industry is tourism), English skills would be highly desirable.  I was right.  The young woman there was very helpful and aware that there were bike shops in Castelnaud, not very far away, and that one of them was run by an expat Brit.  She called for us, got the Englishman, and passed the phone to Al.  He said he'd check if he had a suitable tire and call back--and if he did, he would come up to Domme and install it!  We headed for the only open place to get a hot drink and waited.  He found a tire, 700 x 25 so a little narrower than preferred, but it would do.

The best part of Domme?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the van. Thanks, Joel!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rest of the day has been uneventful but that's fine by us, though we didn't see the castles.  Uneventful except that we had very good Thai food for dinner.  There are actually quite a few places to eat in this little town!  Several were closed due to the holiday but we still had choices:  pizza (no indoor seating), kebabs, French (more than we wanted to spend), and Thai.  An easy choice.

Heart 0 Comment 0


Today's ride: 29 km (18 miles)
Total: 361 km (224 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonWow! Quite the story. Amazing to get bike assistance like that. I’m glad it worked out well, but it’s a shame about the weather - I think the view of the Dordogne from Domme is one of my favorite in France.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenWow. That was quite the day and you are so fortunate with the bike assistance. The bike shops here we have seen were closed yesterday for the holiday. Our forecast deteriorated over night and this weather looks like it is settling in. We are going for breakfast to decide what to do.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Kathleen ClassenWe had our wettest day in 2017 riding from Annecy to Le Bourget-du-Lac (http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=509989j. I hope your day is better!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonWe might leave here via Domme. It's in the right direction!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetWe have decided to stay put and ride around the lake today. Still raining and not looking encouraging for tomorrow either. Silly weather, but we are feeling restless so are heading around the lake regardless. I am going to check your 2017 page now ☔️
Reply to this comment
4 years ago