Pléhérel-Plage to Saint-Quay-Portrieux - French Fling - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2019

Pléhérel-Plage to Saint-Quay-Portrieux

It rained during the night, and though it had stopped by the time I got up, the tent fly was still soaking wet.  I packed up anyway since waiting for the sun to come out and dry it could take days!

I loaded up and rode through Sables-d'Or-les-Pins, glad I'd stopped last night when I did.  Pléhérel-Plage seemed to be a low-key kind of place, where the mini golf has a little restaurant, but Sables-d'Or-les-Pins has a casino and fancy hotels and just isn't my kind of place.  I sped straight through.

I got all the way to Erquy before finding an open boulangerie and then took my pastry over to the beach to find a place to sit and eat.  But the entire beach strip was occupied by a giant brocante market so I rode further along, all the way around to the harbour, where the restaurants and cafés were as it turned out.  I ate in a bar, with a nice café au lait to go with my chasse aux pommes.

Boats in Erquy harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach at Erquy
Heart 0 Comment 0

After I'd climbed up from that beach town and just before the descent to the next, I saw a really interesting structure, the Viaduc de Caroual.  It has lots of characteristics that make me want to do some research when I get home. It was built in 1913 to carry a railway but the railway ceased operations in 1948.  The viaduct is presently being restored as a heritage structure.

I could go on and on about why I find the Viaduc de Caroual so interesting, but I won't unless someone asks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plage de Carouel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plage de Carouel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dahouët, a little port just south of Le Val-André
Heart 0 Comment 0

I ate my picnic lunch in a little park in Langueux.  The sun was actually out for a while so I spread the tent fly over the end of the picnic table to dry it.  There was a fellow yelling something from the balcony of a building next to the park. He sounded like a drunk yelling abuse (before noon!) but I ignored him since I couldn't understand him and I didn't want to pack up and move on since suspected I might need to camp.  The young couple who brought their small children to play in the park left quite quickly and nobody else walking by stopped.

I followed Eurovelo 4 and the course I created at home.  Sometimes they were the same and sometimes not.  I can't remember which was responsible for the very steep long climb coming out of St-Brieuc, but I had to push up most of it.  I rode the first steep pitch but that was it.  Off and pushing the rest of the way.

I looked online for a room but no luck. It's the Saturday of a long weekend, after all.  On the north side of St-Quay-Portrieux I found a campground and turned in.  They had lots of tent pitches available.  Since I hadn't had the opportunity to do any laundry for the last couple of days (I usually do a little every day, but long days plus no sunshine...), I bought tokens for the washer and dryer and a little tablet of detergent.  I didn't know laundry detergent was available like that!  Very neat and easy for the campground operator to sell as "single servings".

Tent up and clothes washed, I had dinner at Le Tartan, the closest restaurant.  The best pizza I've had in a long time!  And café gourmand for dessert, a little splurge since my campsite was well under 10€.

The view from my site at Camping Bellevue. The grassy terraces are for tents. The time stamp on this photo is 9:25 p.m. and I didn't use a long exposure. It's light out until after 10. This part of Brittany is almost directly south of Bristol or Cardiff, and those places are an hour behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I turned Garmin off before riding to dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 2,346 km (1,457 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGlad to see you had better weather.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago