Strasbourg to Selestat: Let the 🚴‍♂️🚴🏽‍♀️ begin - France - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2018

Strasbourg to Selestat: Let the 🚴‍♂️🚴🏽‍♀️ begin

As per usual on a self guided, cue sheet tour leaving a major city is fraught with challenges. We had lots of WAA time finding our way and it was Sunday so no traffic. For something that was supposed to be uneventful there was lots of adventure. It was supposed to be a simple route south to the Euro Vélo 15 track along the canal but somehow we could not find it. Finally we came across a man cycling the way that we thought we wanted to go so I asked him in my bad French where to find the trail. Not only did he tell us but he lead us to the trail before departing on his own ride. He was a lovely man with whom I conversed again in my bad French all the way until he left us. Sadly I didn’t think to take his photo. Before all of this took place Howard wasn’t sure where his wallet was so he decided to leave us and go back and check. Ultimately it was in his suitcase but he had adventures as well. One young woman who spoke English insisted he take the train and not ride so she took him to the train station herself. After she left Howard promptly got back on his bike and made it to Sélestat before us but spend over an hour trying to find the hotel. During that time he stopped for a Coke at what he thought was a store but was actually a distributor, but despite this the gentleman present got him a Coke, and he would not take any money for it. All of these stories give you hope for the mankind after all. While Howard was doing his thing the rest of us carried on along the canal/dyke. We somehow missed another turn and deviated a few times looking for coffee and food. We finally decided to head for Marckolsheim for lunch even though it was out of the way. Just as we made that decision a small café appeared along the trail. Being Mother’s Day and Sunday it was busy and at first they did not want to feed us because we were to close to closing time. After a slight negotiation they agreed to beer/non-alcohol beverages Tarte Flambée to share. This was a perfect solution. Once we all ate and drank we course corrected our way to Sélestat just before a major thunderstorm complete with driving rain and hail hit. Once it was all said and done we had a great day and settled into another quaint hotel for the night. By the end of the day our 55km ride turned into 69km but nobody was complaining. We will see what tomorrow holds in store. In an effort for some to learn some French we decided to have a word GeForce the day. Today’s word was “perdu” which means lost. We thought this word was appropriate for today.

The gang minus me was we prepared to leave Strasbourg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the trail leaving Strasbourg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barge homes on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gang along the canal lined with lovely plain or sicamore trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many route signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Direction route signs on Euro Vélo 15.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I suspect this is or was the lock master’s home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed this couple twice. Take a close look the man’s BIG mirror.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swans on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying our drinks at the lunch stop. This was the only table left and it was in the hot sunshine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A WWII bunker along the trail near our lunch stop. This would have been part of the Maginot Line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White water rafting circuit a very popular sport in Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In our hotel room, I almost feel like a princess in this room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron on the canal trail, barge and plain tres.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rain and hail outside our window from the thunderstorm. We made it just in time but Howard got caught. There was another one through the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The winner of the wing nut award for thinking he left his wallet behind and going back to look.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was too hot at our official table so we made our own table in the shade, Clearly I was hungrier than the rest because I am the only one stuffing some Tarte Flambée in my mouth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
H&C are no longer cycling, rather they are in Mont St Michel on their way to Paris for the French Open tennis.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 385 km (239 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0