Selestat to Colmar: Via the German border - France - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2018

Selestat to Colmar: Via the German border

Today was scheduled to be fairly short so we extended it with a visit to Maginot Line exhibit and a view of the Rhine river with a brief crossing of the border between France and Germany near Freiburg. It was once again a fairly flat ride along canals concluding with the Canal de Colmar. We stopped in Marckolsheim after 15km for coffee and a WC stop after which we made our two detours. Once back on track we pedalled until about noon when we stumbled upon a little café next to the canal. The menu choices were limited to three but each of them was absolutely amazing. Who knew you could find such wonderful food in such a place. After lunch we continued on to Colmar for a beer on a the covered terrace of our hotel. It was hot and humid and storms threatened but did not really materialize. Dinner was in the old city after which we wandered around mostly looking for ice cream. The word for today is “sauf” meaning except. This is because many of the one way streets say “sauf cyclists”, except cyclists. The wifi tonight is a bit iffy so the photos loaded out of any sort of sequence but you will get the message.

The witches tower in Sélestat dating back to the 1200s but obviously restored.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed our lunch stop from yesterday again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now that is a moustache. He is one of group of German motorcyclists who stopped for coffee where we stopped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the German border. Colleen has a foot in each country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhine river
Heart 0 Comment 0
My lunch of vegetables, sweet potatoes, and chicken stuffed with goat cheese not to mention the edible flower. I think the place is run by a husband and wife. He serves and she cooks. She is truly an artist with food. One of my best meals so far.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding the Canal de Colmar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mom, dad and little swans on the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beer on the terrace in Colmar while waiting for our luggage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At our coffee stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joan and Colleen’s lunch of white and green asparagus and smoke salmon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old well (1584) in the centre of Colmar now a flower pot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of two hat shops that I saw in Colmar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milnary is alive and well still in France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two of the many timbered buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More timbered buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the area known as la Petite Venice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many flower boxes that are all over the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Dominic’s cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron crossing the bridge to our lunch stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A brief nap before lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop. Who knew such amazing food could be found in a place like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 439 km (273 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0