Beaune Loop - France - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2018

Beaune Loop

We have 2 nights in Beaune so today’s ride was a loop ride in and out of Beaune. As I write this there is another thunderstorm raging. This has become a regular occurrence which is just fine because all of our activities are done for the day. Feeling better I set out before breakfast to walk some of the town to see the sites. After breakfast we returned our rental vehicles and then set out for the long loop ride of 67km. We headed NE to the Abbaye de Cîteaux which given that it is Monday was closed. We still took in some of the exterior exhibits and learned that the abbey was founded in 1198 and has had monks there for most of its history. There was a brief period after the revolution that abbey was secular but they later returned. From what I can gather it is a silent order with a vow of abstinence. From here us pagans headed to Nuits Saint George for lunch and a beer. After lunch Kim and I did a local tasting followed by a purchase for happy hour tonight of a Nuit Saint George Premier Cru Pinot Noir. We returned to Beaune via the high ground through the vineyards of the Hautes-Côtes de Beaune. Dinner tonight was simply pizza since we have had some fancy meals. We head off in the AM but not before we visit the famous Hostel Dieu Hospital that dates back to 1443. Again the Wifi is slow so the photos have to wait.

Joan passing through the vineyards in the Côte de Bourgogne region with a storm brewing in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unloading the bikes from their overnight storage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Commemorating the founding of the abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
One very skinny monk
Heart 0 Comment 0
Napoleon stayed here twice
Heart 0 Comment 0
The monks pray 7 times a day by this schedule
Heart 0 Comment 0
More quiet roads and wheat fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
Direction Nuits Saint George
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salad and beer only one for lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cave where I bought a premier cru.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With the proprietor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another wine press that is now a large flower decoration
Heart 0 Comment 0
When posted to Lahr I spend a lovely long weekend here in 1989.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The region in which were riding
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very old vine in the high burgundy region, Pinot noir I think.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 649 km (403 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0