Uspallata: Beaten by the wind - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

March 22, 2018

Uspallata: Beaten by the wind

Leigh was feeling a bit better this morning so we finally got on our way after the standard Argentinean breakfast of toast and jam or dulche leche. We had felt quite at home here and would have stayed longer to recuperate had we not run out of cash. After hugs and kisses all around we cycled up the road to the Atomo supermercado in Uspallata to pick up our groceries. The northward ride into Uspallata was lovely because we had a fresh tailwind helping us up the hill.

Once out of town we turned south westwards and into the strong wind. The first ten kilometers out of town were testy with the wind making our lives difficult and rather dangerous at times. As the valley narrowed on the approach to Puerte de Picheuta the wind got scarily strong and we couldn't cycle at all. The wind had kicked up a dust storm and our mouths got full of grit even though we had our faces covered with buffs. We walked the bikes for about a kilometer or so before deciding it would be safer to turn back to Uspallata.

The route was beautiful if it wasn't for the wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leigh's shirt has press-studs instead of buttons and soon after this the wind blew them loose.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride back was pretty easy. We stopped in to look at the campsite on the western side of town because we needed an affordable place to stay given our cash situation. It was pretty dreadful and not worth the three hundred pesos it would have cost us. So we carried on back into town and, lo and behold, spied an ATM. Our options suddenly improved, so we booked into Cabanas Palacios. The unit is certainly not palatial but it is fair value for money at nine hundred pesos.

After a check on the wind forecast for the next few days, we have decided to leave on Saturday when the forecast suggests we should have a light easterly wind blowing - tomorrow will still have strong westerlies. It will also give Leigh a chance to fully recover from her cold.

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 2,451 km (1,522 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0