Santiago: The final end of the line - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2018

Santiago: The final end of the line

It was pretty cold this morning - how often have I said that on this trip ? - and we wrapped up warmly before we left our over-priced digs. Supper last night was good by Chilean standards. I had a duck confit and Leigh had a slow roasted pork rib. Still big pieces of meat as is the Chilean want but slightly more elegant than usual. Breakfast reverted to style with rubbery cheese, bland ham and pan with instant coffee to wash it down.

The climb started after about nineteen kilometers. Sections were pretty steep but we crested the top soon after noon and coasted down to Chile's central valley and the urban sprawl of Maipu and the other towns south of Santiago.

Last climbs of the trip
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking westwards down the valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leigh's last summit
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking eastwards across the vineyards south of Maipu
Heart 0 Comment 0

The best decision we made was to not listen to the guidance provided by Maps.me and head straight for Ruta 76. In the end this knocked seven kilometers off the route and helped us avoid many of the bus routes and much of the pavement hopping that we would have had to do. There where a few kilometers on the Ruta 76 that we pretty hairy where the wide shoulder was replaced by a bus lane but we eventually hooked up with the cycle lane that I had seen on maps and this took us almost all the way into central Santiago.

After a break of about a kilometer, we were back on another cycle lane which took us almost all the way to Hostal Sendero Sur. We have an enormous room in a lovely old building with a great kitchen and common areas. At 20K pesos per night for the two of us we couldn't ask for more given its location.

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 3,053 km (1,896 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0