Day 85: Sheguiandah to Tobermory - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2010

Day 85: Sheguiandah to Tobermory

It was sunny, warm and clear all day today. Too bad that I didn't have further to go. However, there was a headwind.

By the time I roused myself in the morning, the people from Quebec that came in late yesterday had already left. So, I ate, packed up and cycled to the ferry ($22.60 for me and bike). While waiting for the ferry, they showed up. It turns out that they had left at 7:00 AM to get some breakfast. We ended up sharing stories on the boat ride. Olaf is retired from RCA. He worked at Expo 67 and the '76 Olympics. Danielle was his administrative assistant. Olaf has considerable touring experience - he has cycled across Canada and done the Southern Tier in the States. This is Danielle's first tour. I think she is enjoying it, but is looking forward to finishing. Olaf offered to let me stay with him when I pass through the Montreal area.

At Tobermory, we got off the ferry together and cycled 3 km south to the Tobermory Village Campground ($37.39). It's a decent place, but for that price I thought that the showers should have been included. The three of us went out for a dinner at the golf club across the street.

End point:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=45.23274,-81.64145&ll=45.23274,-81.64145&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry that took us from Manitoulin Island to Tobermory.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Olaf and Danielle. They were on their way from out west back to Montreal. Unfortunately, some of their equipment had been stolen from a campground. Being resourceful, this did not deter them! For instance, Olaf's jacket was rescued from a ditch. They were great company.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A demonstration on why you should never wear a jersey with a tear in it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 10,236 km (6,357 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0