Day 41: Engineer Creek Campground to Mile 0 Dempster Highway - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2010

Day 41: Engineer Creek Campground to Mile 0 Dempster Highway

Today was a big day. My original plan was to cycle 120 km to Tombstone Territorial Park before 5pm. That's when the Visitor Centre closes. I could get potable water there and check the weather forecast. If the weather forecast was ominous I could continue on. It didn't quite work out that way. I got to the campground entrance a bit after 5pm. The Visitor Centre closes before then so I didn't get water or a look at the weather forecast. At that point, I decided to take advantage of the loooooooong days and cycled the 70km to the base of the Dempster. Who knows what the weather will be like tomorrow. I arrived at about 9:30pm. So, the damage for the day was 196km over 2 mountain passes (the North Fork and the Windy) on dirt roads. It wasn't the original plan, but it worked well.

It was such a relief to see pavement again. I celebrated by staying at the Klondike River Lodge in an overflow shelter for $31.50. For the first time in a while I slept in an actual bed with a roof over my head.

The weather was cloudy all day, but the rain held off.

The plan is to cycle to Moose Creek Campground tomorrow.

End point:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=63.99216,-138.74973&ll=63.99216,-138.74973&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Heart 0 Comment 0
If you look closely, you can see a little white bit. That is a dall sheep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was taking a picture on the other side of the road. I heard some stones fall and turned around and spotted the sheep way up on the cliff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Let's put where the sheep was jumping around into some context. That's pretty close to a sheer cliff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some nice washboard along the road. It was necessary to tighten the bolts on my racks every day because of conditions like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road was being maintained constantly. Immediately after the maintenance, the conditions were not necessarily better for cyclists. Scraping up road would make it softer. Putting down loose gravel would be a hazard too. Interestingly, you could see potholes form. When it rained streams would form perpendicular to the direction of travel. Vehicles would hit these streams and splash out water carrying some dirt with it. This would create a bit of a depression where water would pool. When the next vehicle passed, the splash would carry more dirt and create a bigger depression. With enough water and vehicles a pothole would form.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A monument to Joe and Annie Henry. There were a prominent native couple who lived here and were married for over eighty years. The monument was off the highway on a short driveway. You would be going too fast on a motor vehicle to notice it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Only 100 km to go!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The welcome sight of pavement!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 196 km (122 miles)
Total: 4,316 km (2,680 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0