Day 25: Mile 0 Dempster Highway to Dawson City - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2010

Day 25: Mile 0 Dempster Highway to Dawson City

Today was going to be an easy day. Then I decided to cycle up Midnight Dome on the way into Dawson. It was listed as one of the things to do in the tourist literature and I figured that if I didn't do it on the way in, I would never do it. It's a nice view. You can see the Klondike River flowing Yukon River. It's interesting to see the colour difference between the two.

I continued into Dawson and took the ferry across the river to the Provincial Campground ($12) and picked a nice site by the river. I then headed back to town to pick up some groceries and have a look around. My favourites were Berton House and Robert Service's cabin. They are right across the street from each other. Who would have thought?

The big thing that I had to do was buy some groceries and pack them in a box. The North West Territories tourist site (right across the street from the Tourist Centre) will ship a box of groceries up to Eagle Plains - the half way point of the Dempster Highway. This is a very useful service.

I had dinner at Sourdough Joe's Restaurant. It is at the site of the first building in Dawson. It's named after Joe Ladue, the founder of Dawson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Francis_Ladue

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tailing piles from the mining days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Klondike River flowing into the Yukon River from Midnight Dome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the river to the Top of the World Highway where I am planning on cycling tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Yukon River from Midnight Dome.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry to Dawson City. It's free and runs continuously.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are lots of relics left from the Klondike Gold Rush.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Robert Service's cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jack London's cabin
Heart 0 Comment 0
The house where Pierre Berton (famous Canadian author) grew up. http://www.pierreberton.com/
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A paddle wheeler tourist boat on the Yukon River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My campsite near by the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
River from the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 2,522 km (1,566 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0