Colter Bay to Grant Village, Yellowstone - North from FoCo in NoCo - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2012

Colter Bay to Grant Village, Yellowstone

I left early, trying to beat a lot of the traffic and arrived at Grant Village at about 12:30. Even so, there was quite a bit of traffic and a back up to get into Yellowstone. And the mosquitoes at the entrance were awful! There is quite a climb into the park. I just took it slowly and stopped at the overlooks. It's interesting to see the recovery from the fire, which was back in 1988 and to think about how the fire areas in Colorado will look in 20 some years.

The campsite at Grant Village is next to the restrooms. I specifically asked not to be, but was told that's the hiker biker site and would be shared with others. But Gabby and Thomas from Colter Bay are here and got a different hiker biker site a few sites down. There is a Harley Guy next to me. He is friendly enough, and says he thinks traveling by motor bike and by bicycle are the same. I think there are some elements in common, like the limited packing space, but the ability to run off for an evening view of Old Faithful adds mobility to the motor bike that moves it closer to an automobile experience.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I have cell phone reception here.

Stats
Distance 43.44
Odometer 6318.1
Maximum 35.9
average 8.7

Entering Yellowstone National Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The way the fire spread. Sounds similar to the High Park fire back home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Yellowstone River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Regrowth after the 1988 fire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Continental Divide crossing before Grant Village
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 454 miles (731 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0