4. Sequim State Park to beyond Port Angeles... and back to Port Angeles: Change of plans - From the Olympic Peninsula to St. Mary - The First Bite of the Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2018

4. Sequim State Park to beyond Port Angeles... and back to Port Angeles: Change of plans

We stayed on the Olympic Discovery Trail to Port Angeles. Pleasant easy riding with a mixture of trail and back streets though with some abr

upt sharp little climbs on the trail that force a quick gear down.

We had lunch at the Coyote BBQ Pub where the service and food were great. The Sound Bikes and Kayaks Shop gave Jackie's bike a quick check to a adjust the shifting. The Browns Outdoor shop solved our need for more camp meals. Both places warned us about WA 112 going west to Neah Bay with a turnoff for Lake Ozette. We took note and pedaled on.

The ride out of Port Angeles continued on the Olympic Discovery Trail with some sections on back streets. The climb out of the port tested our stuffed stomachs. The profusion of flowers filled the air with a constantly changing set of fragrances.

The wild flowers were quite spectacular, and here the Washington state flower, rhododendrons, grow wild. Almost every home had some. We have to intensely cultivate them in Montana.

The Olympic DiscoveryTrail took us through the Elwah Reservation and across the recently freed-from-being-damned incredibly beautiful Elwah River.

But then the trail dumped us out on WA 112. We tried it for three miles but after watching a logging truck cut around a left-turning truck, and taking not just the almost non-existent shoulder but some of the barrow ditch too, we judged the danger too great and rode back to Port Angeles to call it a day. Sad to forego our trip to the coast which we had intended for training, but we regrouped to ride a short bit in BC.

Mid-May is a great time for flowers in the Pacific Northwest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 108 miles (174 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0