3. Poulsbo to Sequim, WA: Olympic Peninsula up and down and up and down - From the Olympic Peninsula to St. Mary - The First Bite of the Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2018

3. Poulsbo to Sequim, WA: Olympic Peninsula up and down and up and down

Washington State Park at Sequim was the destination for the day. We made it, but it felt like we went up and down as much as forward. WA 305 to WA 3 led us to the Hood Canal Floating Bridge where a fellow out for an exercise ride snapped our photo on the bridge. Nice bridge with great space for bicyclists. The WSDOT were even kind enough to cover the metal grating portion to avoid the slip issue. Thanks much WSDOT!

Lunch found us in Discovery Bay. The tourist season has not truly begun yet, that comes after U.S. Memorial Day, so options were few. Fat Smitty’s is the place to get a good burger and leave a dollar. Previous customers had left thousands (?) tacked to the walls and ceiling.

At Discovery Bay we joined the Olympic Discovery Trail which goes right through the Sequim State Park. The trail is a mixture of on and separated trail riding. It is well signed and in very good condition. Many thanks to the many volunteers who put this together.

Our first experience with Washington State Parks was very good. Hot showers (with purchased tokens) super clean campsights and bathrooms, and friendly staff made this a great stop.

Sparkling spring weather greeted us for our first full day of training rides in preparation for the Cascade Peaks. A sign on the bridge warned of strong crosswinds, but this day was calm.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 63 miles (101 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0