2. Portland, OR to Poulsbo, WA: Riding - rails, roads, trails - multimodal bicycle touring - From the Olympic Peninsula to St. Mary - The First Bite of the Northern Tier - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2018

2. Portland, OR to Poulsbo, WA: Riding - rails, roads, trails - multimodal bicycle touring

Out of Portland to Seattle via Amtrak. Fully loaded bikes were easy on - the panniers turned into checked luggage and the bike into the bicycle/luggage train car - and easy off in Seattle where everything came back to us in fine shape. We fielded our first questions from our fellow train travelers. Seems a 60-something and 50-something kitted out in touring gear raised their curiosity. And amazement when we said we were riding to Montana via the Cascades.

The day was just a bit of a ride, a couple miles in Portland, less than a mile from the Amtrak station to the Bainbridge Ferry Port. Note. Washington State Ferries are well run, clean, and easy to understand. We were not in the ferry boarding line when boarding began, so we had to wait and boarded last. Can’t complain though because the ferries to Bainbridge were a bit behind schedule and we were able to get aboard a delayed ferry rather than wait a couple of hours for the next.

Off the ferry, the island greeted us with our baptismal learning point - ferry ports are always down and anything away from them is up, sometimes steep up. It was on to Route 305 to cross to the peninsula on Agate Pass bridge. Wonderful fish dinner and overnight in Poulsbo.

Seattle and its famous Space Needle recede into the background as the ferry hurries to Bainbridge Island.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 miles (19 km)
Total: 12 miles (19 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0