Thaton - an unavoidable change of plans - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

March 30, 2016

Thaton - an unavoidable change of plans

We had a late lie-in this morning. The boat for Chiang Rai only leaves at 12:30 so there was no need to rush. Breakfast at Apples Resort at about 9:30. Then the question from the owner "Where you go next ?". When we told her of our plans she said "Boat no go. No water in river". I jumped on my bike and shot across to the boat station on the south side of the river and they confirmed what she had said. So the boat still only leaves at 12:30 but in a couple of months time after the rains have started falling.

Thaton is not the worst place in which to be stuck - we've been stuck in far worse before. The problem is that to get out of here by road we have to take on the a massive climb. So we have decided to have a lazy day here then catch a song thaew to the top of the hill 30 kms out of here and have a gentle 65 km ride down to Chiang Saen on the Mekong, giving Chiang Rai a miss. After the crush of Chiang Mai we are enjoying having no other falangs around and we know we are going to get our fair share of them on the boat to Luang Prabang and in Luang Prabang itself.

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 839 km (521 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0