Su Huynh to Quy Nhon - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2016

Su Huynh to Quy Nhon

We were on the road at a quarter past five with the aim of beating the heat because we had a long day planned. As we cycled out of Sa Huynh we could see that many others were up long before us. Folk exercising on the beach, others sweeping the front stoops of their businesses, bahn mi's being made and even women feeding a concrete mixer at a building site.

Old man preparing rice paddies with water buffalo
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day heated up quite quickly and we spent a lot of of time filing up with liquid as we may our way down Highway One and its offshoots through the various towns. If one follows Highway One slavishly, the distance is greater because it bypasses many towns while the sections off the highway through the towns are a lot quieter with far fewer busses and trucks which are the only real irritation of travelling on the highway.

We managed to get through three bahn mi's each in the first 25 kilometers, mindful of the fact that we were quite hungry by the end of yesterday's ride. These lasted us until after eighty kilometers at Phu Cat where we had a steamed bun (with mystery meat and a quail egg) and a cocanut biscuit along with a thirty minute break at the little park in the middle of the town. While Google refers to it as Phu Cat, the actual name appears to be Ngo May (the name on all the road signs as well as Open Street Maps).

Despite all the stops, we were settled into the Y Linh Hotel on the Quy Nhon beachfront by about two o'clock. I guess you could call it a budget hotel in the context of its location. The 3rd floor room is large with a balcony overlooking the sea and beach and it is clean and apparantly well managed but 490K VND is quite high for a place that has past its peak.

After the usual chores that get handled once we settle in to our room, we did a bit of shopping for toiletries, 3-in-1 coffee, snacks and drinks. We used the balcony for an evening drink before wandering a bit in the area near the hotel. We had a "white-rose" type dish at a street-side bar next door followed up by a plate of rice and allsorts at a plastic chair around the corner - tasty, filling and only 50K VND.

Filling the hole after today's long ride
Heart 0 Comment 0

There seems to be no consistency in the value for money one gets out of a meal in Vietnam.

Today's ride: 120 km (75 miles)
Total: 2,971 km (1,845 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0