Petchaburi to Kaeng Krachan - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

March 13, 2016

Petchaburi to Kaeng Krachan

Our first day of "real" cycle touring.

We left Petchaburi and about half past six after eating part of the packed breakfast the White Monkey guesthouse has provided for us. Leigh was still not feeling well but we decided to give it a go.

Travelling southwards along the 3171, 3204 and 4024 was mostly flat with a light headwind but once we turned westwards we started to get a few small hills. For some crazy reason we missed the turnoff to the 3510 that lead southwards to Kaeng Krachan and ended up going 4 kilometers up a steepish hill before we realised our mistake, adding 8 kays to the trip. By the time we got onto the 3510 the sun was out in full force and the hills started. We were joined by a policeman from Petchaburi called Sarwan Wun (I think that's an almost correct spelling) who made a great effort to encourage Leigh up the hills.

Leigh and Sarwan at the end of the climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to the turnoff to Samarn Bird Camp near the entrance to the park just before 1pm and had a goodbye cooldrink with Sarwan. We had an excellent time with despite a complete lack of language overlap !.

A large Beer Chang, a bowl of Tom Yung Khai and a bowl of Green Curry Chicken has revived us.

A couple of nice new birds seen along the road - a Red Jungle Fowl hen that almost flew into my head and a few Black-naped Orioles as we approached Samarn Bird Camp. Hope to get some more good ones over the next few days.

EDIT 1: According to the folk at Samarn Bird Camp, the mecury hit 41 degrees today - hot enough for me.

EDIT 2: Picked up 9 lifers today, including some rare specials from the hide at Samarn Bird Camp. Leigh is sure that it was worth the physical effort to get here.

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 209 km (130 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0