Chiang Dao Birding & Chilling - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

March 27, 2016

Chiang Dao Birding & Chilling

We had a really good dinner at "The Nest 2" last night. "The Nest" caters for western food while the newer number two only has Thai food, albeit in a class a bit higher than market food which is reflected in the price. We had the "set menu two" which was four courses of different northern Thai foods, all for 495 bhat.

Up at 5:30am to go and bird the steps up to Wat Tamphaplong, a few hundred meters awat from Malees Nature Lovers Bungalows where we are staying. First lifer as we walk in the gate - Speckled-thoated Wren Babbler. After that birding was quite hard with gloomy light and poor eye-site proving to be a poor combination. Added another few new birds to the list before heading back down for some breakfast.

Wat Tamphaplong.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The rest of the day was spent relaxing. Malees has a lovely little pool which, along with the much cooler weather (today only reached 32 degrees and yesterday was even cooler) - made for a change from the heat further south.

Leigh making whirlpools in the little swimming pool at Malees.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The cave at Chiang Dao is, by all reports, not very exciting and a bit of a tourist ripoff if you don't happen to be Thai, so we gave it a miss.

An early supper at The Cave (another guest house and restuarant - not to be confused with the Chiang Dao cave itself) then back to the temple for some more birding where we picked a couple of lifers before relaxing with a beer and some snacks before the mozzies drove us inside.

Today's ride: 7 km (4 miles)
Total: 710 km (441 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0