Binh Son to Quang Ngai - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2016

Binh Son to Quang Ngai

We got away from Binh Son at 5:30, made a left turn turn straight after crossing the river and stopped at the first village out of town to buy four bahn mi for breakfast, which we ate on the side of the rice paddies just outside the village.

We travelled on lovely country roads to the memorial to the of the My Lai massacre (also known as the My Son massacre) where US soldiers murdered 504 women, children and elderly Vietnamese on the 18th of March 1968. More information can be found here. Surrounding the memorial are the remains of various homes destroyed during the attack and a very good museum. Along with the Cheung Ek Killing Field at Phnom Penh, this must rank amongst the top memorials to low points in the history of humanity that I have seen.

We then cycled on to Quang Ngai and had an early lunch at a plastic chair restaurant where we debated looking for somewhere to stay in Quang Ngai. The next town was thirty kilomters away and we weren't sure if we would find a decent place to stay and I was also developing a bit of a hot spot on my left buttock that I wanted to treat with a bit of care before it got out of hand. Leigh had spotted what looked like a nice hotel just around the corner from our restaurant. They offered us a special deal of 30% off the listed rate (we paid 550K VND for a 750K room, including breakfast) and although it looked very corporate and sterile, we decided against carrying on and took a room to rest up for the day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,778 km (1,725 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0