Ban A Hong to Bung Khla - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2016

Ban A Hong to Bung Khla

We were on the road at about ten past six this morning, twenty minutes later than yesterday despite getting up at the same time. Somt days it is just difficult to get going. Consequently we dawdled along for most of the morning, avoiding the 212 where we could and sticking close to the Mekhong and the farmlands between it and the 212.

On the back roads between the 212 and the Mekhong
Heart 0 Comment 0

First breakfast was chicken kebabs and sticky rice after about 15 kms. Bananas at about 40 kms. At about 55 kms Leigh was flagging and needed to eat, so we raided our emergency rations (peanuts) and downed a Coke. The last 15 kms went quite quickly and we arrived in Bung Khla at about eleven o'clock. We had a look at the first resort as we approached the village from the north on the 3029 (the name was only in Thai script). Rather tired chalets at 350 baht. Just down the road we found Monprasit Resort which was much better but almost twice the price. We carried on the village looking for alternatives but couldn't find any so we had some lunch and headed back to Monprasit.

Today is been wonderfully cool (as I type this at 2pm it is still "only" 36 degrees) and we have had lots of tree cover along the route we took. This meant that we felt under no pressure to rush to get somewhere to find accomodation where we could hide from the heat in the comfort of an air conditioned room. In fact, I am typing this journal entry sitting outside on the balcony of the chalet we took at Monprasit Resort.

We have a lovely view over the Mekhong where a sandbank streches out from the Thai side. At 600 baht, we have paid a bit more than usual for a room that is quite small. However, it is spotless and well-kept and the large balcony with lots of seating and a table make it very comfortable. Monprasit Resort can be found on the north end of Bung Kla (you need to cross the bridge over the river which runs into the Mekhong) and get onto the 3029.

Later in the afternoon we went for a paddle in the Mekhong, which unexpectedly turned up two new lifers skulking in the reeds namely Yellow-bellied Prinia and Golden-headed Cisticola.

Paddling in the Mekhong
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 1,625 km (1,009 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0