Phon Phisai to Ban A Hong - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2016

Phon Phisai to Ban A Hong

We were on the road at ten to six. The target was the Meakong View Hotel at Wat A Hong at the Navel of the Mekhong about 70 kms down the 212.

Pre-dawn get away from the Bontawee
Heart 0 Comment 0

We erred in sticking to the 212 because it was one giant construction zone from a kilometer out of Phon Phisai until four kilometers before Pak Khat. We really should have taken one of the side roads along the Mekhong, even just to beat the traffic.

We had a wonderful plate of khao pad moo at Pak Khat and, along with our full tummies, the lack of roadworks made for a more pleasant journey. The 212 is shrouded in trees for much of this section where it cuts inland from the Mekhong to take a shortcut across to Ban A Hong and along with a much lower temperature than yesterday and a freshening headwind kept us nice and cool and thus less inclined to rush.

The little wire bicycle takes a break from the headwind about 15 kms out of Ban A Hong
Heart 0 Comment 0

The hotel at A Hong, which we reached at about eleven o'clock, apparantly belongs to the local Wat so it is all single beds, no TV and no alcohol. Fear not, brave cyclist, there are many ways to track down a Beer Chang. At 300 bhat and lovely location we are happy with our digs for the night.

Lunch was at the plastic chair place at the fuel station on the 212 where we had a friendly chat with 3 cops who were enjoying a large lunch (which they paid for ;-)). Supper was at the other plastic chair in the village, about 200m from the hotel. Just plain rice and pork in both cases but very good. There were a couple of Beer Changs in the evening meal. Thais always seem surpised when the skinny falang asks for more prik.

The Navel of the Mekhong is claimed to be the deepest point in the Mekhong - 196m deep in flood conditions - and is also quite narrow with enormous dolerite rocks on either side (I think they're dolerite - I'm not a geologist). Even if we hadn't spent the night here I would have still wanted to stop and have a look at it.

The Navel of the Mekhong
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 1,551 km (963 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0