Day 5-A remote start to our ride - Fall Colours - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2016

Day 5-A remote start to our ride

We had planned to do a ride out of Magog but there is a fairly long section of dirt road that did not interest us on skinny tire bikes. We still did a remote start but the route was called the Missisquoi loop that visited the Abbaye St-Benoit-du-Lac another location in a Louise Penny book, called Dead Cold. We did the prescribed ride but since it was our last ride and we had had 2 easier days we added an additional 33km. The total ride was 87km/54mi with 3500' of climbing. It was another stunning fall day albeit a little cooler. At the Abbey we bought some cheese, found a baguette and had lunch along the way, sadly no wine. Today is the last ride of the tour so we are off to Montreal for a rest day, some retail therapy and lunch with friends. After that we are going to spend 3 days riding the Le Petit Train du Nord and if you want to know more about that you will just have to keep reading the blog.

The colours get better everyday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Owl's Head ski hill. There are many ski hills in the Eastern townships and northern Vermont. This is where HJ spent much of her younger days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Abbaye St Benoit du Lac. It is a Benedictine monastery and they produce amazing cheese, fruit cake and apple products. This is where we bought our cheese for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Have baguette will travel at least to lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another major crop here is maple syrup. Here are the taps to the trees for when the sap runs in the spring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our trusty steeds now get to rest for a while since we are renting hybrid/mountain bikes to ride the Le Petit Train du Nord.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 370 km (230 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0