Two days to sightsee in Cologne and explore its amazing cathedral - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2013

Two days to sightsee in Cologne and explore its amazing cathedral

The bells of the cathedral and numerous churches in the neighbourhood of our hotel provide us with a constant musical reminder of our proximity to the historic centre of Cologne. Our top floor room looks onto a courtyard of apartments and we can see that everybody is staying as still as possible, near their windows.
The unrelenting heat has continued unabated for our stay and the forecast for thunder storms has not materialized. Our hotel is not air conditioned, but they have provided us with a fan, which we have kept running non-stop. We are very pleased with Central Am Dom (Cathedral) Hotel - a great hot/cold breakfast buffet and the location is superb.
Upon arrival, the only glitch was the unavailability of storage for our bike - we refused to leave it on the street or at the train station - the head housekeeper came to our rescue and directed Barry, with our bike, up a series of steps and on to the roof....a challenge but certainly secure storage! So, for our stay, the bike will stay put and we'll explore on foot.
We couldn't resist going back to Globetrotters store for another visit. An amazing place - today scuba divers were testing equipment in the pool.
We walked through the Turkish section of town and could hear the cheers of crowds of people in the biergartens watching their local soccer team on TV. The city has been full of enthusiastic fans dressed outrageously in their team's colours.
No matter where you go in Cologne, the Dom/Cathedral dominates the skyline. Late at night, it is a treat to visit the square when it is quiet and admire the illuminated cathedral.
On Sunday morning, we attended a special musical mass which featured a visiting choir and the outstanding pipe organ. As well, we were lucky that the monthly market along the Rhine Promenade was happening on this Sunday. The market stretched for kms. and we walked, ate at the food stalls and enjoyed the ambience.
We have found that Cologne offers much to explore - especially when you can give it some time.

Globetrotters store in Koln - nirvana for camping gear hounds like us. Barry is taking advantage of their many interactive "try out their products" areas and taking a much needed break from the rigours of shopping!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Globetrotters is like an amusement park for us. The ceiling is a projected image and it changes depending on the season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This pedestrian shopping street has a unique feature - a street musician playing a grand piano...only in Europe!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kolsch, the local beer of Koln. Due to the rivalries between Koln and Dusseldorf, it would be potentially life threatening and thus a huge mistake to ask for the a beer from Dusseldorf. Like the 100 km diet - it is best to drink the local beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Globetrotter is a great store, made extra special by the excellence of their staff. As well as being most knowledgable about their stock, their friendly professionalism was appreciated. I admired her haircut, and she brought me a map and info on where to find her hairdresser the following day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of their many interacdtive areas where you can test their gear. This is the ice room where you can test clothing to see if it keeps you warm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An aquarium of jellyfish - and why not?
Heart 0 Comment 0
This family shopping at Globetrotters were from a nearby village. Like us, this store is a destination for them. We really enjoyed talking to them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pool on the bottom level is used to test kayaks and canoes, scuba gear, any gear water related.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A unique tent with poles that are inflated. We have seen these in magazines, but never to try out. We think we'll pass on this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We never get to see Hilleberg tents - Barry is a "happy camper" testing the Anjan 2 without the extra vestibule room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The space for the Globetrotter store takes up its own block. There is a part of a floor devoted only to maps -wow!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Shopping is hard work - we emerged from the air conditioned splendour of Globetrotters and sought out a bakery. Raspberry chocolate torte helped to revive us. We had just bought the hand fans and they came to good use.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We learned on this trip that German people love ice cream, especially Italian Eis - we liked this whimsical ice cream cone on top of this building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On this hot, 36 plus celsius degree, evening, we decided to go to a movie thinking that it would be air-conditioned. Well it wasn't and we went anyway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Koln Cathedral illuminated. Staying a block away, we often went for a stroll at night to cool off, have an ice cream cone and admire the view of this cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is so hot. It is hard to imagine how this person who is painted silver and wearing a full length costume copes with the heat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0