Ribe to Esbjerg: Our final day in Denmark - where did the time go? - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2013

Ribe to Esbjerg: Our final day in Denmark - where did the time go?

The wind is remaining our constant companion through Denmark. We awoke to a view of the trees swaying and the canal showing whitecaps. On the positive side though, the rain is staying away.
We once again mailed home some things to lighten our load. We debated about bothering to do it this late in the trip, but we decided to go ahead. We have accumulated some wonderful cycling maps and guide books that we don't want to discard and they are heavy, so...Denmark Post has helped us out.
We had noticed a HUGE bike shop on our way in to Ribe yesterday. The sight of it shocked us as we are in a rural area and out of nowhere came this box store sized bike shop with over 3000 bikes on the shop floor. Of course, we had to stop and take a look. Apparently people drive to this shop from Copenhagen if they want to buy a bike and have choice available in stock.
As we left Ribe, we considered that it is a village of contrasts: the oldest town in Denmark, the biggest and most lauded Cathedral in Denmark, the biggest bike shop in Denmark. What more do you need?
Not to be repetitive, but the ride was super windy today. We were forced to take breaks to give our legs a break. As we are close to the North Sea, we feel the full force of the wind straight on. At one time, we had considered doing the North Sea Eurovelo Route, but after some of the riding we have done here, we have decided against it.
It feels like we have saved the best for last as the Hostel in Esbjerg is truly exceptional - highly recommended. The building is historic - the first working high school in Denmark - and the furnishings and decor are top notch. Living rooms with leather couches, interesting artwork, historic statues celebrating the history of the hostel, friendly and accommodating staff, beautifully landscaped grounds. Honouring Danish tradition, candles are lit throughout the common areas - day and night. It lends an atmosphere of calm and beauty. We will stay here for the day tomorrow while we wait for our ferry to England later in the afternoon. It is super comfortable and we can cook our meals in the kitchen while we wait.
The weather looks pretty good for our 18 hour sailing tomorrow night to Harwich England. Last night we were looking at the Holland maps and are excited to get back to the Netherlands and see more of the Netherlands before our flight home on October 5th.

Timing is everything - a large crowd of kids arrived at the Ribe Hostel just as we were leaving. They looked like a really nice bunch of kids, but the energy level in tight spaces can be a bit overwhelming for us old retired folk!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trying to make it all fit - how do we accumulate so much stuff, even where we're on the road on our bike?
Heart 1 Comment 0
The price for the post made us gasp, but we know that things cost more in Denmark, so mustn't worry. It is the cost of travel, right?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kvickly, a Danish supermarket chain - a lovely store. We have shopped a lot at the Discount chains common in Europe: Netto (German?), Aldi & Rema 1000 (Danish) to help cut costs and make our own meals. Prices are high in Denmark for food. The post office was in this store and we really appreciated the quality and presentation of merchandise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fotex, a Danish supermarket. Their grocery chains are truly superstores with housewares, furniture and bikes for sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not far to go to Esbjerg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A huge sign for a huge bike store. Excellent range of bikes and brands on the shop floor - over 3000 bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tom was most helpful and interesting to talk to at the Ribe Bike store.
Heart 1 Comment 0
9 mechanics working here - like other Danish bike shops, they use the pulley system to hold the bike in the air for repairs.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting re the pulley system to hold the bike when repairing - - but doesn't the bike wiggle around while dangling from the pulleys?
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
An amazing showroom of bikes - Danish bikes are typically very colourful and attractively decorated.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Avenue - a Danish brand.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kildemoes, a well known and widely used Danish brand of bike. The mechanics are disappointed that they are now made in Taiwan, yet they are still assembled and designed in Denmark.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like so many bike shops, there is a lounge area and the all important coffee/espresso machine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our Angletech seat bag finally wore out - too many miles and too many UV rays. We were able to get an Abus briefcase type of pannier to replace it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alexandra on Samso told us why baby carriages are so big in Denmark - it's because babies here nap outside.
This is a day care and the carriages are quite weather worn and obviously stay outside for naptime.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have noticed that Danes love to exercise and keep fit. Near our hostel, there was a badminton club, fitness centre, pool, weight training, ju-jutso, etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the living rooms at our hostel in Esbjerg where we spent the day comfortably awaiting the ferry to Harwich.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Esbjerg Hostel - another lounge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The dining room at the hostel - since they also host conferences, the Hostels hire excellent chefs and the food is always exceptional.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The entrance to the Hostel. We are staying in a new wing at the back which features large suites and ensuites. Yeah.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 2,747 km (1,706 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0