Griertherort to Xanten - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2013

Griertherort to Xanten

At Campingplatz Griertherort,we had a hedge bordered field to ourselves...quite a pretty rural setting. The area of the campground with permanent caravans has seen better days, but we were happy with where we were - and for 9.50 euros, we were more than satisfied. We’re not sure what the white fuzzy moss is that is carpeting the countryside - perhaps milkweed?
Our neighbours a field over, partied late but our earplugs came to the rescue and gave us a good sleep. In fact, we couldn’t wake up - we had the best sleep so far.

The ferry crossing at Griertherort is not the best for a fully loaded bike and trailer - the access requires putting your bike in a metal channel down the steps. If there was not an alternate route, we could have done it. But as we had wanted to visit Rees, it was an easy 6 km ride to a ferry crossing that had better access.

Rees has a beautiful promenade along the Rhine fronted with a historic wall. Rees is known for sculptures of people throughout the town.

The ferry crossing was our longest ride yet on the river....quite enjoyable. Many bikes and families out for the day.

We think that we saw the evidence of the flooding earlier this year. Along the dyke, we had to detour a section as much work was being done to rebuild the trail and repair the grassy areas of the dyke. This part of the trail is bordered by water on both sides - not hard to imagine water coming in here.

As we had had numerous stops sightseeing today, we decided to stop early at a Youth Hostel in Xanten. It is a wonderful modern facility, bordered by the lake and offering a resort feeling. There is even a soccer pitch that was being used by a group staying here. Dinner was 5.50 euros - hot entrees, salad bar, bread, fruit, etc. Compared to the youth hostels we stayed at last year, this one is exceptional. A double room with a private bath - youth hostels have come a long way.

We'll remember this - our own field for camping.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Patates frites with mayonnaise = yummy. I wish I could find mayonnaise with this full flavour at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A satisfied customer - and only 1.25 euros. More than the two of us could eat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rural camping
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the promenade in Rees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another whimsical sculpture in Rees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the ferry again - we seem to be drawn to them as our island in Canada requires them as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the promenade in Rees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Youth Hostel in Xanten - a good choice.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 362 km (225 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0