Flying Back to Canada - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2013

Flying Back to Canada

We got up today and had a terrific breakfast. It always feels a little disorienting to be heading to the airport when we have had such a great trip. I think we both could have travelled longer, but the Schlengen agreement requires that we must depart within 90 days. So, until next time...

Hans drove us to the airport in his taxi van and we were able to check in right away.

We really enjoy Schiphol Airport and had a bit of time to wander around before boarding our flight.

The bike is in its bag, the trailer and panniers are packed and locked - so we're ready to head to the airport. Hans and Mieke's back garden has given us a good place to work on our bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have enjoyed staying with Hans and Mieke in Amstelveen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
How many bikes does he see going down the chute? We appreciated his friendly, laid back approach, unlike the crew we dealt with in Vancouver on our way over in July.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It always feels odd, after being so connected to the bike for each day of the trip, to release it like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Schiphol Airport - we love that there is a library and lounge area with free internet.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's nice that Schiphol Airport has a library and free internet!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Rijksmuseum Shop and a small art gallery - all for free at the airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Want to feel revitalized? Oxygen available for sale for a 10 minute session.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If we had more time, this would be tempting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quiet lounge area to relax, read or use the computers.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice there is a quiet lounge area in the busy airport!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Getting dressed again after going through security.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will soon be boarding our Air Transat flight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Option Plus gave us more baggage allowance and a few perks. Travelling with our tandem on Air Transat has always been trouble free without any extra costs for oversize and overweight luggage. The only cost is $30.00 for a bike(single or tandem).
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, $30 was CHEAP to bring your bike on that airline! I see it's now $75 if you prepay, or $100 if paying at the airport. Still, inexpensive. I have a Bike Friday, and it's checked as regular luggage - which I see is now $30 if prepaid.
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Flying over Greenland on a very clear day
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost to Vancouver, after ten hours of flying
Heart 0 Comment 0
All of our luggage arrived safetly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Active Pass with Mt.Baker in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arriving at Swartz Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a joy to see mom again after 3 months away.
Heart 1 Comment 0
3 of the 4 Sandford girls, Mary Ellen, her mom Shirley and her sister Marilyn. (Her sister Judith lives in Prince George - hope to see her soon too.) Marilyn picked us up at the airport and drove us back to Victoria. This gave us such a nice welcome back to Canada - thanks!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0