Bonn - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2013

Bonn

Yesterday, we were increasingly enchanted by the lovely scenery of the Rhine. It is a treat that there are no industrial sections in this area. Instead we are seeing castles, fortresses and vineyards growing up the cliffs. This is what we imagined when planning a trip along the Rhine.

As well, the route and bike paths are very pretty with numerous rest areas, landscaping and scenic historic villages along the way.

It was an enjoyable ride (without our trailer and panniers) to cycle back to Bonn. It felt good to accelerate quickly without feeling the weight of the bike.

Beethoven's family home was in Bonn. We were excited to visit this small museum as Beethoven is a favourite composer for Mary Ellen. We're glad we went, but it didn't offer the insights into the composer and his life that we were hoping for. It seemed to lack the passion and personal style that is so typical of Beethoven and his music. Perhaps it didn't help that the heat had returned with a venegance and that the humidity was extremely high.

Bonn is an interesting city with much international significance. We rode past the United Nations Centre and conference facilities that have hosted talks and events that we have watched on the news at home. As well, the historic centre is well preserved and worth a visit.

The rains returned yet we enjoyed our ride back to the campsite.

Beethoven's family home as a young boy in Bonn. A modest, small home - the rear section.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just as Barry was making dinner, the rains came. As you probably guessed, Mary Ellen is comfortably seated in the dry comfort of the vestibule.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many rowing teams along this stretch of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Metropol book store in Bonn was designed like a classic, movie theatre complete with theatre seating to sit and look at the books.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rathaus, Bonn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beethoven greeting us at the Information centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A vintage delivery truck
Heart 0 Comment 0
The United Nations Centre and conference facilities.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 638 km (396 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0