A holiday day at Wallstrand Campground: Gendt - we're staying put - Exploring Holland, Germany and Denmark on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2013

A holiday day at Wallstrand Campground: Gendt - we're staying put

We’re too comfortable to move on.
The sun is shining, it’s very hot, our hosts have given us a large umbrella to shade our site, we plan to swim and sunbathe in the swimming pool - so we’ll stay put!

It is so hot today, shade is essential. Spent much time reading and relaxing by the pool. It is the first day we haven’t ridden in 7 days - good to have a break. Barry is having much pain in his achilles,so we’re hoping that some rest will help.

A local journalist was visiting the campground to do a piece about campgrounds and travellers in the area. She had heard about us and thought that we were unique as we are Canadian, riding a strange bike, sleeping in a small tent and touring Europe for 3 months. Most people at our campground are Dutch and staying in caravans. So she sought us out in the afternoon and interviewed us about our impressions of the area and why we love to travel. It will be published next week - so that should be interesting.

We find ourselves thinking about the walkers today - how can they manage 50 km in this heat. We were talking to one of the men when he returned as was getting medical attention for his blisters. He told us that they get up at 3:30 am and start walking about 4:30. They have to finish by 5 pm or they are disqualified. What a feat!

Spent the evening having coffee and sweets and lots of laughter with our neighbors John and Corrie. It’s hard to believe that we have only known them for a few days.

A journalist interviewed about our trip and our feelings about travelling in Holland
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry made a chicken vegetable with nasi goreng sauce dish for dinner. The delicious German beer was provided by our wonderful neighbours
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Waal river is a very busy waterway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike racks in Holland are impressive
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blister management is essential
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tomorrow is the last day of the four days of 50 km walks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0