Mittenwald to Murnau: So that is how it happened! - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

October 18, 2017

Mittenwald to Murnau: So that is how it happened!

We are really slowing down and enjoying the moments and small things as this tour draws to an end. We have to be in Frankfurt on Sunday, and we know this will involve trains, so every moment on the bikes is to be savoured. We had another cloudless bluebird day to enjoy, and a fantastic German breakfast to get us ready to pedal.

I loved our room in this hotel. Quaint and quintessentially German. Breakfast was good too 😀
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mittenwald has an amazing setting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Last year when I fell, the ambulance left Keith on the bike trail with two bikes, four panniers and that could have been a problem, except for Jürgen and Marion, who were visiting her parents in Mittenwald. They were our trail angels. Then Marion's parents stored the bikes until Keith could retrieve them, and fed him lunch. They were so kind. We were able to stop by their house on our way out of Mittenwald and thank them. It was really a treat.

Marion's Dad and I.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I thought I had never cycled the first portion of the bike path out of town and then Keith reminded me that I did it in the rain on our way to Bad Tolz a few years ago. That day we got off the train from Innsbruck and just started pedalling. It was a bit too wet at that point to think about looking around town, so that is why I had forgotten. We were on our way to visit the scene of the crime. Keith was more interested in this than I was, although I certainly didn't mind going. When we got there I was so, so glad we went. I mean accidents do happen, but I felt pretty stupid about this one, and even though I had come up with a plausible explanation for what had happened...I knew there was a big patch of gravel...I have always felt a bit confused about it. Well, we recognized the spot immediately and all of a sudden it was crystal clear. I don't feel so stupid anymore, except that I probably shouldn't have been going so fast. I was going downhill, and there is a channel where water runs across the bike path, resulting in a large, deep patch of loose gravel, and that is what I hit. We were both a bit surprised at how clear it became...the day of the accident we were obviously dealing with the aftermath and not looking at the cause.

Trailside companion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a good ride on a rainy day. Today it was stunning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pictures don't do a great job really, but this gives you some idea. Gravel still makes me nervous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So I walked up the hill, much to Keith's amusement.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bike path was excellent. We were going in reverse, and things looked completely different. We did recognize some spots on the way to Garmisch, and we just loved the ride. We couldn't believe the number of bikes we saw today. Probably the most of the entire trip. It was so much fun. We bypassed most of Garmisch on a bike path past the ski jump and headed in the direction of Zugspitze and then turned right and headed into the centre of town. We got some excellent information at TI and a map, had lunch in the main square, and continued on to Murnau. We know Garmisch well (especially Keith) so decided it would be fun to see something new.

A little eye candy just off the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about this view. Pretty spectacular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can just see the ski jump in this picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the ride to Murnau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of other bikes today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Murnau is beautiful. There is a lake here and it is a popular destination with people from Germany. It is another one of those stunning little gems that seems to be off the beaten track. We are so happy we get to see these places. Oddly, the chief photographer didn't take a single picture after we arrived. We had a gelato, chatted with a lovely woman, found a great hotel, but no pictures! We will fix that tomorrow.

Our hotel is fabulous, and the hotelier sent us to a local brauhaus for schnitzel and beer. What a neat experience. Pride of place in the restaurant is given to a picture of Barack Obama enjoying their beer, so we can claim to drink the same beer as the former president. It was another great day.
Here is the Relive: https://www.relive.cc/view/1236145676

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 2,555 km (1,587 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0