Dresden and Meissen - Europe 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2022

Dresden and Meissen

The previous two days we got in just as it started to sprinkle.  Today it started raining about a quarter of the way to the destination in Meissen. We stopped in Dresden Germany about 11:30 and wondered around in the rain. We visited the rebuilt Palace and Church and many other buildings put up after WWII. Dresden was destroyed near the end of the war (february , 1945). We went up to the top of the church tower to see the view and get out of the rain. They have done a fabulous job of making it into a charming, old-looking city.

 Then more cycling in the rain to Meissen. Two of the three e-bikes wouldn’t run after sitting in the rain during our time in Dresden.

Meissen has an old castle/palace and churches dating back many centuries. It was not bombed during the war. The castle is, of course, up high and has great views. We were cycling through a valley still and it was very scenic. The houses seemed to be very large near Dresden but a little smaller as we got farther away. Germany is definitely wealthier and has more amenities. The bike trail was almost always beautiful asphalt. They put cobbles near some intersections to slow people down.

 Today was the last day of cycling on this trip.  We go back to Prague tomorrow. Most of the others will head home on the 10th.

 No new birds. There were many Geese and Gulls. Is it because it is a different country or are we getting close enough to the Sea. I got a good look at the Common Wood Pigeon today. There are also many more house sparrows.

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 269 km (167 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0