A loop ride in Grenoble - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2022

A loop ride in Grenoble

It’s warm enough that we’ve left the window open last night, which is very pleasant but I’m wakened up early this morning to the sound of a trash hauler in the street below.  I close the window but then open up the iPad to check the weather and am startled to see that the forecast has changed and tomorrow now looks bikeable.  A new plan hatches in my half-awake brain, and once I sense that Rachael is awake too I share it with her.  She quickly concurs - it’s brilliant, if we can work out the details.  

Before breakfast we check at the front desk and are pleased to find that our room is available if we want to stay over another night.  We double-check our coming reservation in Chambéry and confirm that amazingly enough it is cancellable up until 6 this evening.  We cancel it, rebook for the following day, let the front desk know that we’d like to stay over, and presto change-o we’ve got ourselves a second night in Grenoble!

Over breakfast I continue with and complete the other task I’ve been occupying myself with this morning - researching Kormoot for ideas for a day ride from here if it turns out that we get to stay around for one.  I come up with a promising creation - a figure eight with an elevation profile that looks like a two humped camel’s back - a climb up a shoulder beneath the west wall of the Vercors, a drop back down to the Drac River at Pont-du-Claix, and a mirroring climb and drop on the other side.

It turns out to be a brilliant ride, and a fitting one for Hump Day - today is the halfway point on our journey from Barcelona to Calais.  Amazing that so much has happened in six and a half weeks, and amazing also to realize that this is only one sixth of the greater tour as a whole.

Only one problem: rains tomorrow are due to arrive in early afternoon, so with a forty mile ride to fit in we’ll want to hit the road early.  Rachael sets the alarm for five thirty so we can be downstairs for breakfast when the room opens at six, and we’ll try to get out the door at eight.

Which means there’s not really any time to elaborate on today’s ride.  I’ve already said too much so the photos will have to suffice.  See you in Chambéry!

A mile from our hotel we’re crossing the Drac River, with the Vercors rising above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the Drac toward Chartreuse. The Drac is a short minor river, emptying into the Isère at Grenoble. The city lies in a wedge between the two rivers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the western shore of the Drac. The cycling infrastructure surrounding Grenoble is really superb - there’s also a cycle path following the other bank of the river. Spoiled for choice here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amazing. Barely two miles from our hotel and we’re climbing up into the foothills below the Vercors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still climbing, as we will be for about two and a half miles on a slope that tops out at about ten percent and rewards us with breathtaking views at the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful road, topping out about eight hundred feet off the valley floor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking across the Drac, with the Belledonne Range rising above the nearest ridges. In the valley is Pont-de-Claix. We’ll drop down to it and then climb up on the low plateau beyond it for the second half of the ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking up at the Vercors.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A zoomed in look at the Belledonne Range.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A look back along the Vercors before dropping back to the valley.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking south to the Vercors from Pont Lesdiguieres, built in 1610.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking down on the Drac from the Lesdiguieres Bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Claix, an appealing small town with attractive streets and public art works.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I think there must be a political statement of some kind here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Claix, only about five miles south of Grenoble, looks like it could be an attractive base without staying in the larger city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the opposite side of the Drac now, the best views are back west to the Vercors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chateau de Bon Repos cranes the ridge above Jarrie.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I’d been looking forward to this half of the ride because we’re closer to the Belledonne arrange, but it’s mostly masked by the nearest ridge except through this notch. The best views are from across the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Finally dropping back to the valley again we get a wonderful long view along the Vercors toward its southern end.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Video sound track: Y’a Trop de Gens Qui t’Aiment, by Musiques Idolees

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 39 miles, 2,400’; for the tour: 1,244 miles, 62,000’

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 1,244 miles (2,002 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0