In Rome: Carpe Diem (piovoso) - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

November 3, 2021

In Rome: Carpe Diem (piovoso)

Rachael and I came to Rome for the first time in 2006, as the starting and ending point for a tour of Puglia, the Amalfi Coast, and Sardinia.  At the beginning of our tour we arrived in Rome late in the day, spent the evening assembling our bicycles and scoring a meal, and departed by train for Taranto early the next morning.  At the end of the tour in early June we spent two nights in Rome, with a hurried day visiting some of the historical highlights and the Vatican.  It was too hot, too crowded, and too busy.  We didn’t really care for the experience or the city, and have never really considered coming back.  We’re here this time only because it looked like the best way to fill in a few rainy days.

So, we’ve both been quite surprised at how attractive we’ve found the city.  The ride along the Tiber was great, and we both enjoyed wonderful walking tours through the city.  And of course, Rome being Rome, we really only scratched the surface and would like to come back again some day.

Today promises to be rainy, but that’s no reason to avoid walking around with so many options for dashing under cover if the rains get too severe.  Rachael is keen on returning to Villa Borghese, which we saw briefly when biked through yesterday.  I decide to join her at the beginning, after which we split up and go our ways.  We both have a wonderful time and are reasonably lucky with the rains, which shower off and on during the day but don’t turn severe until the evening after we’re safely back at the hotel.  A fine, memorable day.  A good start.

At the Porta Pinciana, the southeast gate into the Villa Borgese gardens. several of the walkways are named for figures from literature and cinema: this one, Marcello Mastroianni, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Goethe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An art work from the classical period, at the Porta Pinciana.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is a long underground walkway that lets you access the gardens without crossing the busy Corso d’Italia and through the Porta Pinciana. We took it, especially appreciating this option on a rainy morning. Unfortunately when we emerged at the other side we were disoriented and walked back out of the park again to rhe place we started from.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The fountain of the seahorses, designed by an 18the neoclassical painter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Piazza di Siena, an open grassy area from the late 1700’s; now used for equestrian events and exercising your dog on a rainy day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Casino dell’ Orologio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The brighter half of the team, taunting me for not being smart enough to buy my own umbrella.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnThe umbrella really can make a difference in the right low/no wind rainy conditions.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The Temple of Antoninus and Faustina.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Museum of Pietro Canonica. I was interested in entering it to look around, but needed vaccine information and hadn’t thought to bring it. Pretty from the outside though.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The equine half of the Alpini Monument.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Viale Pietro Canonica: a pause for a quick sole assessment.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnAnd I thought she was just striking a yoga pose while looking at her phone ..
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Along the Viale Pietro Canonica.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the Viale Pietro Canonica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Viale Pietro Canonica. The way is lined with torsi - mostly decapitated, and all concrete copies of the originals created in 1990. The originals are undoubtedly stored away in some museum, but it’s more evocative seeing their replicas in situ.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the Viale Pietro Canonica.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This sculpture atop a fountain is a modern work from the 1920’s, alternatively known as the Fountain of Joy, or of Satyrs, or of Rabbits. Take your pick.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fountain adorning the Temple of Aesculapius.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fleet of geese on the pond in front of the Temple of Aesculapius. They’ve arrived after sailing the pond, in tight formation the whole way. From here they executed a tight U-turn and then completed a circle, as if they were trying to create an eddy and stir something up from the bottom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving the Villa Borgia Gardens through some gate or other.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Moro Torto, an ancient retaining wall built along the west side of Pincio Hill, another site filled with gardens and important monuments and allegedly offering the best views from above of Ancient Rome. Which I might have been aware of and chosen to visit if I’d read anything about Rome before we arrived.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Piazza del Populo through the Porta Flaminia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Porta Flaminia.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jen RahnI think those shoes are the Air Force Ones .. Nike is still making a splash in the world of European fashion!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnI’m always so surprised at the details you pick up on, Ms. Grumby.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The Piazza del Popolo.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A side entrance of the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo, on the Piazza del Popolo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interior, the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo. A beautiful space, and an excellent spot to hide out from the rains for a few minutes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A side chapel in the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo. These can be briefly illuminated for 2 euros, but I failed to bring any change so I had to resort to freeloading by scurrying from one illuminated chapel after another.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Basilica of Santa Maria del Popolo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Neptune Fountain in the Piazza del Populo. Above is the viewing platform overlooking the city on Pincio Hill. We should really go up there next time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting artwork. It reminds me of a sculpture of a cow up a tree we saw in Melbourne years ago. I wonder if she’s still snagged up there?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Four blondes in Rome.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnAll four of them would look so much better with their natural hair color.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
On the Piazza de Petra: the colonnade of the 2nd century Temple of Hadrian, now incorporated in the 17th century as the facade of the customs building; later the home of the Rome stock exchange, now the chamber of commerce.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On Via delle Muratte, the walking route between the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Possibly you’ve heard of the Trevi Fountain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
If so, you have a lot of company.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rain was little more than an inconvenience during the day but by evening we’re happy to be warm and dry in our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0