9. 6/7/23 Port Stanley, Ontario to Port Dover, Ontario - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2023

9. 6/7/23 Port Stanley, Ontario to Port Dover, Ontario

Heart 0 Comment 0

NOTE: This elevation data is incorrect.  Our actual elevation gain was 1,320 ft. (per Strava data).

Port Stanley marina
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got off by 9 a.m.  Our cold coffee from last night was fine! Got bananas and mini cinnamon rolls at Foodland, just a bit out of our way, then rode out of Port Stanley up a steep hill.  That was the theme of today's ride....scream downhill to a port or river and then crawl up the other side.  We had 5 very steep hills that really tested my ability to climb.  Ken made it possible!

The roads varied from smooth with a bike lane to rough with gravel shoulder.  Overall the traffic was light and we have been very fortunate with weather!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode East and Northeast mostly and the wind was from the North until we got close to the lake and suddenly the wind was Southerly! It gave us a bit of a push for the last half.

Classic early 1900's brick farm house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once we had the lake in view, the turbines appeared again. We rode very close to one and the sound it made was like a distant jet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This random woodworking and convenience store had a model train set up inside but most importantly a bathroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Had the rest of our breakfast here. Notice the Little Free Library. I was tempted....
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lunch was in Port Burwell at Izzy's.

Heart 0 Comment 0
When we walked to the back patio, we saw this! HMCS Ojibwa. Just behind the sub is an inlet. I'm sure it was floated in on that, but no idea how they hoisted it on land!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed many fields of crops again today, but came upon a new one with a picking machine that made our backs hurt.  We assume they were cutting asparagus. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Individual carts with one picker inside, bending over.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Look on the map and you'll see Long Point National Wildlife Area.  Even outside of the Wildlife Area there were signs for Bird Sanctuaries and Turtle crossings.  The whole area (10 miles?) was a place that cared about wildlife.  It was impressive.

Rest stop at Lee Brown memorial bird sanctuary
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long Point National Wildlife Area
Heart 0 Comment 0

Got to Port Dover around 4:30. The Erie Beach Hotel is lovely (of course our standards are really low now).   We haven't been concerned with air quality until friends emailed saying THEY were concerned for us.  Tomorrow is a day off...to look for masks and hope the chance of rain in the forecast comes to fruition.

Memorial to lost commercial fishermen and the Port Dover lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 252 miles (406 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Glenn GassAs Julie said, we are returned and jet lagged... both happy and sad to be home. We had some challenging hikes and moments when I wondered why we went to so much trouble to put ourselves through it, but then I read your blog and and realize the life of luxury we live while traveling! You guys are really tearing it up, and it is really impressive! Looks like a lot of interesting and beautiful areas you are going through, though the ferry boat sounds scary(!) and the smoke is certainly troubling. Thanks for keeping the updates coming!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Francie GassI've had the same thoughts, Glenn...why are we going through this stress? But some stress is okay and the benefits have been fun and interesting! Glad you are home. Hope you feel back to normal soon.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago