10. 6/8/23 Rest Day in Port Dover - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2023

10. 6/8/23 Rest Day in Port Dover

Air quality is suddenly one of our main concerns.  We are in the low yellow zone.  We had a great breakfast up the street at the Dover Dairy Bar and then found N95 masks at the local hardware store.  It was cloudy today but no rain yet.  The air is supposed to improve by the weekend. 

This is the nice hotel we are staying in for two nights. We also had dinner here last night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I spent the morning walking to the grocery store and the laundromat. Met a very conservative Canadian man who wants to put a "rope around Trudeau's neck sooner than later" and blames him for all the wildfires.  BTW, he was wearing a 3 inch long brass cross on a chain.  I understand being upset with one's elected leader, but the cross just seems so wrong.

Ken tried to problem-solve our perceived problem with the front panniers.  We don't like our frame.  Finally decided it is working for now and we will probably buy a new frame (saw some great ones online).  

We noticed this riding into town: 

It is the Lighthouse Theater! A community theater the size of the Bellingham Theatre Guild. It is the former Town Hall with a second floor meeting room that is now the theater (they have an elevator just as the Theatre Guild does)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Of course, I checked it out and there was a preview matinee today of their "World Premier" show by a Canadian playwright.  We saw "On the Air" by Ephraim Ellis and were delighted.  I'll bring details back to the Theatre Guild, but if we did put it on, it would have to be Americanized (some of the humor was strictly Canadian). We love live theater, so this was really an unexpected treat. https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=lighthouse%20festival%20theatre%20port%20dover%20ontario (you can see the set nearly completed and some of the actors).

Oh, as I am writing, it is misting outside! This should help the air quality.  We may get sprinkled on tomorrow but that's okay.

A few other old buildings in town:

St. Paul's Anglican Church, erected 1851.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Classic old home, now a guesthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Longest ride is tomorrow.  Hoping for fewer hills & healthy air quality!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0