11. 6/9/23 Port Dover to Crystal Beach, Ontario - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2023

11. 6/9/23 Port Dover to Crystal Beach, Ontario

Heart 0 Comment 0

Note: This elevation is incorrect.  Data from from Strava says we gained 847 ft. 

Today's ride was very enjoyable even though it was long and we had several hours of light rain.   We were on the road just before 9 and very quickly were on back roads with no cars.  This loomed up:

US Steel Canada
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode around it's fenced perimeter and saw where they load/unload.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed this extensive array of solar cells and later a power plant. 

Solar panels
Heart 0 Comment 0

Soon we arrived at the lake shore and could access it from the road!  At this point it began to rain.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived in the tiny town of Selkirk  (at 18 miles) after riding for an hour in the rain; perfect timing for a stop at the Sunflower Cafe for hot chocolate and a bite to eat.

The next 22 miles were along the shore on a road with a speed limit of 40 kph or 25 mph and little traffic.  The street was lined with trees, small vacation cabins, the occasional old brick farm house and weathered barn and a few mobile home "resorts".   It was the most fun riding!  

Heart 1 Comment 0

There were Canada geese everywhere.  We have also seen many Red-winged blackbirds, robins, mourning doves and a few large black birds that may have been black vultures. 

Had lunch in Dunnville. The small cafe had no wifi and we don't want roaming charges, so we were without internet all day.  I was surprised to get a text during lunch! (I know, the internet and phone service are independent of each other...it still surprised me.)  Our friend Mark Owings who sold us this lovely Co-Motion Tandem and who has taken many a panicked call from us, texted that he read our blog and the comment about struggling with the front pannier frame.  He gently pointed out that I had installed it backwards.  I'm not sure what picture he used to figure that out since most pictures have the panniers on. Regardless, he was absolutely right.  Just when I thought Ken and I could manage a trip without calling Mark for help...he calls us and offers help!    

 The rain stopped but we rode several miles on a road with no paved shoulder and cars going over 50 mph. Then mercifully, back to "Lakeshore Drive" with virtually no cars. 

The next excitement was crossing a river in Port Colborne.  The lift bridge was up and we saw we had a long wait.

Heart 0 Comment 0

I dashed to the fudge shop a few yards away! 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Following directions and walking our bike on the sidewalk.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last 10 miles of the day were on a trail! 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltDames rocket. Pretty. Invasive. Edible (pretty good, actually... Had some a few weeks back that I harvested from along the bike path. Often confused with phlox, which has 5 petals while this has 4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperis_matronalis
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

The day wasn't quite over yet, though.  As we exited the trail to go into Crystal Beach, Ken stopped but couldn't uncleat, I thought he was going to make a slow turn onto the road, so I wasn't ready to stop.  We fell.  A scrape and a sore wrist and we are fine.  

 A few tenths down the road and our hearts sank when we saw our motel.

Heart 0 Comment 0

I picked this motel because it was near our route and I didn't do my homework and look for better. (Mark and Chris Owings can attest to my occasional poor judgment in motel choices).  Also, in other Ontario towns there really wasn't a choice; but here there apparently was.  Oh well, the manager went out of her way to find us a locked place for the tandem.  She let us use her hose to clean the bike and the room is perfectly lovely.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked 1/4 mile to a new Italian restaurant that was delicious!  A long and eventful day. We had no significant hills and the air quality stayed below 100.  Tomorrow we cross the border. 

Today's ride: 74 miles (119 km)
Total: 326 miles (525 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0