7.6/5/23 Leamington to Blenheim, Ontario - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2023

7.6/5/23 Leamington to Blenheim, Ontario

Heart 0 Comment 0

Note: This elevation data is incorrect.  The actual elevation gain was 308 ft. (corrected with Strava data) and the added distance includes our RT ride back into Blenhem for dinner.

It was a hazy day in the low 70's with a South wind.  The navigation was not difficult today and the roads were mostly quiet!

No paved shoulder but the traffic was light and the cars gave us room.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are in farming country; barley, corn , wind (as in turbines), and greenhouses full of ? .  Out of the blue there were two oil wells!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

About 17 miles into our day, I made the foolish mistake of letting this thought enter my brain:  "Gee, this straight, flat road along the lake which we can barely see is a little boring." Never say boring when riding a bike!

Up popped this:

This added about 3 miles to our total mileage today, no big deal, except one of the detour roads was about 3 miles dirt and gravel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fortunately, the traffic was very light.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some spots along the dirt road were pretty (flox and barley).
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltProbably dames rocket. 4 petals vs 5 for phlox. Invasive, but edible with good nutrition and not bad taste. I recently harvested some myself from the bike paths here around Dayton, OH.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47697-Hesperis-matronalis
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Francie GassTo Bill ShaneyfeltHello Bill! Thank you for the info (and correct spelling...I knew it looked wrong!) I'll have to check the petals if I see more. I also have the "picture this" App which tells me what plants I'm looking at.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Once we got to the paved Talbot Trail, we looked for a spot to eat our lunch which we created from the Quality Inn breakfast offerings!

The wall around the bell was our bench and I found a garbage can in back so we didn't have to transport our banana peels.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Thomas KlostermanWe ate lunch here on my first trip around the Lake!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Thomas KlostermanWe ate lunch here on my first trip around the Lake!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Francie GassTo Thomas KlostermanHahaha, not surprised actually....not many other choices!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

We continued on the Talbot Trail all the way to Blenheim.  Amidst the fields and old farms, we were surprised to see a few new large houses by the lake.  We haven't seen the shoreline.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Silver Motel just outside Blenheim. It is the better of two choices. Sweet manager, but no waste baskets, a coffee maker but no coffee and no cups of any kind. We rode back to Blenheim for dinner at Tim Hortons (of course!) and will ride there for bkfst. tomorrow even though it is going backwards. There is not much between here and our next stop Port Stanley.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 127 miles (204 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0