Koblenz -> Bacharach - Head Down, Chain Right: Riding South From Norway - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2023

Koblenz -> Bacharach

Cruising upstream along the Rhine

I woke up around 7:00, and started packing up my bike again. Today was the day we were leaving Koblenz behind, and starting our tour down the Rhine river. My parents rented their E-Bikes (my dad got a regular bike, mom got an E-Bike), I finished packing mine, and we got breakfast at a local Bakery.

Breakfast at local bakery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Parental units with rented bikes
Heart 5 Comment 0

We started our southbound journey going upstream on the Rhine. Going south from Koblenz, the Rhine gorge walls steepened, and the river below was flowing swifter. The water in the river was surprisingly clean looking for such an urban body of water. At every riverbend a new castle would come into view.  Some high on the hills above the river, some lower to the water.

Mineral Spring
Heart 4 Comment 0
Getting a drink, being way overdressed for the amount of miles I was doing that day
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretCal Poly-SLO! = GO!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rhine Gorge
Heart 5 Comment 0

The first stop of the day was in Boppard. This well-preserved Meadevil looking town was home to many interesting shops, including a bakery where we got brunch.

Brunch
Heart 3 Comment 0

Continuing upriver, we stopped in Saint Goar to take a ferry across the Rhine. This ferry cost 3.30 Euros, and only took a couple minutes. Once on the Eastern side of the Rhine, we rode to the foot of Loreley. The Loreley is the site of the narrowest part of the Rhine gorge. Here the river is fast-flowing, and there are many underwater rocks that are dangerous for ship traffic. We hiked 300 feet uphill to a biergarten overlooking the gorge and had lunch.

Rhine Ferry Terminal
Heart 4 Comment 0
View of Rhine Gorge from Biergarten
Heart 4 Comment 0
Aussichtspunkt
Heart 4 Comment 0
Mom and I on the Rhine
Heart 4 Comment 0

After having lunch, we climbed back down and took the ferry back to the Western side of the river. From here, we rode straight to our destination for the night: Bacharach.

After settling into a hotel, my parents and I then went out to dinner. This town was full of authentic German restaurants. We ended up trying dishes from two restaurants: Beef Goulash from one restaurant, and then Koenigsburger Klopse and Rouladen from another restaraunt. I only have pictures from our first dinner, but all of it was delicious.

Dinner (Part 1) in Bacharach
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 622 miles (1,001 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Margie ThompsonAnother beautiful day keep it up.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago