Montbrun-les-Bains to Forcalquier: Land of Lavender - French Alps 2017 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2017

Montbrun-les-Bains to Forcalquier: Land of Lavender

We awoke this morning at 7 am to the sound of the church bell ringing next door. As always, I lay there counting the chimes but after the the 8th chime, I gave up counting. It turned out that our host was doing the ringing and we learned that there was to be a memorial service this morning so they throw in extra chimes to remind people of the service. He popped back and served us a lovely petit dejeuner and recounted some memories of the Resistance. I must learn more about it when I return home.

The temperatures have dropped a few degrees today (22 degrees) and there is some light cloud cover, making for some excellent cycling conditions. The route for today started with an 8k climb out of the valley and onto a rolling plateau. In short order we found ourselves riding through massive fields of lavender for which the region is famous. The plants varied in age, from little yearlings to full on mature plants that look to be ready to bloom in 2 to 4 weeks. The soil conditions for lavender appear to be similar to that for grapes, not much more than a pile of stones. Occasionally, we would pass by a building where they were processing lavender and selling lavender products. The scent was quite strong so it makes me wonder how it would be when the fields are in bloom. No doubt, it would be glorious to see all the blooms.

View from Montbrun les Bains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near the summit of the first climb, looking north. My Ventoux is still visible in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lavender fields cover the landscape here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These stone structures are known as bories. They once provided shelter for shepherds.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Some lavender fields appeared to be having a year of rest. This one was overgrown with poppies and other wildflowers.

This lavender field had been taken over by poppies and wildflowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These little blue flowers grow in carpets all along the shoulder. Not sure if they are a type of flax?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lavender loves harsh conditions.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The lavender fields are interspersed with fields of a type of grain and this flowering crop. As I stood close to take the picture, I could hear the sound of a bazillion bees, happily harvesting nectar. I think this is a legume crop that will fix nitrogen into the soil...but I'm only guessing.

There were bees as far as the eyes could see.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This borie is located close to Focalquier, our destination for today. Inside there is plenty of room. There were two small 'windows' and an opening at the top of the conical roof so there was quite a bit of light inside. It made for some interesting photos.

Looking up from inside the borie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This borie was right next to the road so we had a chance to look inside.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After stopping at the borie, we coasted into Forcalquier. It's a bustling centre with an old but small walled cite full of interesting boutique shops, restauants and bars. Our hotel was just outside the old centre. We cleaned up and wandered the tiny alleyways to locate a creperie for this evening's dinner. We reserved a table sur la terrasse, which turned out to be the street outside the restaurant. They simply set up all their tables and chairs on the street for the evening! It was the best crepe either of is has ever had. The dessert crepe was also divine, pear, chocolate, toasted sliced almonds and chantilly.

Crepes for dinner in Forcalquier, the best we have ever had.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We shared this delicious dessert crepe.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 537 km (333 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0