Pacific Crest 1999, Medford to Portland - 1988-2002 Bike Tours - CycleBlaze

September 18, 1999 to September 28, 1999

Pacific Crest 1999, Medford to Portland

This tour was my 4th of 6 segments on the Pacific Crest (Sierra Cascades) bike route, the only segment that I did traveling north instead of south.

11 days, 607 miles (971 km). Medford airport to Portland airport.

Heart 0 Comment 0

I had a partner for this tour, Zeke Mazur from Imperial Beach, California. He was older than me but thinner and a much faster climber.

We started with the huge and very steep climb from Ashland up the Dead Indian Memorial highway.

Looking back towards Ashland.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We camped at a rustic resort on Willow lake with a great view of 9495 foot Mt. McLoughlin.

Willow lake and Mt. McLoughlin.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The highest elevation of the tour was pedaling through Crater Lake National park.

Wayne and Zeke at Crater Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This was my first time to see inland Oregon. First of many visits to Crater Lake. First visit to Bend and central Oregon.  First time to see the Columbia river gorge and its waterfalls. First and only time to bike the Cascade Lakes highway.

Volcano view from the Cascade Lakes highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the end of the tour I biked through the Columbia Gorge to the Portland airport. It was my first time to see the Columbia Gorge and the major waterfalls.

Multnomah Falls in morning shade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Columbia River gorge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had warm sunny weather for most of the tour. But it rained all day when we pedaled over Bennett pass. No views of Mt. Hood as a result. Camped 10 of 11 nights.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0