Pacific Crest 2000, Reno to Fresno - 1988-2002 Bike Tours - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2000 to September 17, 2000

Pacific Crest 2000, Reno to Fresno

My 5th of 6 segments on the Pacific Crest bike route. Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park are the highlights of this segment.

11 days, 447 miles (715 km). Reno airport to Fresno airport.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This was a group tour and for the first time I was the organizer/leader. My riding partners were John (LRay) Stevens from California and Carrie Treviranus from Wisconsin.

To start the tour I flew from Chicago to Reno and quickly assembled the bike at baggage claim. In the afternoon we climbed from 4500 feet elevation at Reno airport to 8900 feet elevation at Mt. Rose summit.

Above Lake Tahoe on the Nevada side.
Heart 0 Comment 0

One great aspect of this route is that it showcases the dry east side and the green west side of the Sierra Nevada mountains. It seemed to me that views are better on the dry side, with few tall trees to obstruct the view.

Near Bridgeport, on the back road to Buckeye hot spring.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This was my first and only time to bike through Yosemite National Park. Unfortunately Yosemite falls is dry this time of year.

Highest point of the Sierra Cascades bike route.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The tour included 31 strenuous miles of hiking at Yosemite. A long high country hike at Tuolumne Meadows. A very long day hike from Glacier Point to Yosemite Valley. And a hike to the giant Sequoias at Wawona.

View from Sentinel Dome, Yosemite National Park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
594 foot Nevada Falls in Yosemite valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather was reliably warm and sunny. September is a good time to avoid the peak heat of summer. We camped every night.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0