Hills and More Hills: Destination, Elvas - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2014

Hills and More Hills: Destination, Elvas

Well, the rest of the 12% grade climb was not as difficult as I had feared. I think it was a combination of the cooler temperature, being morning, and possibly, we are getting our cycling legs back. I did loose sleep about it, though!

We had our coffee break at Estremoz, which is up on a hill, ( of course), and about 30 km from the Spanish boarder. It is a pretty town, with markets in the square, and upscale shops. The rest of the day was hills, and more hills, but very nice scenery, which included vineyards, and scenic outlooks. This area also has many marble quarries, and we had a very interesting visit to one of these. Out total ascent today was 950m.

Tonight we are in the city of Elvas, which is another world heritage site, classified by Unesco. Our hotel is a 17th century building that was on e a military hospital, and more recently, the fire brigade headquarters. Elvas is known for its olives and plums. Brandy is also distilled here, and pottery in also manufactured here.

Tomorrow brings even more hills and kilometres, so time for a nap.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 1,204 miles (1,938 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0