To Wakefield - New Zealand 1991 - CycleBlaze

December 26, 1991

To Wakefield

Early in the morning it began to pour again.  It continued steadily for several hours, then finally tapered off and finally ceased about eight, just in time for the day's ride.  It felt good to lie lazily in bed, waiting out the rain.

Today was planned as a light day - 75k only, to Motukeke - where our tourist map indicated a camping facility existed.  For the first 35k we continued eastward and upward along the Buller, to Kawatiri Junction, and then shifted north toward Nelson, first enjoying an easy 10k through the Hope River valley and then laboring up a tough climb to Hope Saddle followed by a longer sdescent and a final climb to the summit of Sppners's Range, with a fine view down the Waiti valley to Nelson and Tasman Bay.

We lodged for the evening at a pub hotel in Wakefield.  The pubs are required by law to provide rooms as well, but it looks like this is only their secondary business here.  We locked our bikes in the workshop to the rear, safe from their 5 month old misbehaving German shephard pup.

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 708 miles (1,139 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0