To Murchison - New Zealand 1991 - CycleBlaze

December 25, 1991

To Murchison

A longish day, in spite of favorable winds and only moderate climbing.  We spent the entire day winding our way up Buller Gorge, stopping once on the shore for a snack and only briefly at a few other rest areas.  At one point we passed a gypsy wagon on the road, drawn by draft horses and with their dog running alongside.  Probably the dominant issue of the day (for myself at least) was food - we had somewhat miscalculated and were under reduced rations - our breaks were characterized by measuring out and savoring individual crackers, cheese, muffins and gorp.  It got us through the day, but I was quite hungry and we were both low on energy at day's end.  

To our large relief there was still af cafe/store open when we arrived in Murchison (we had been uncertain whether we would find anything open here on Christmas day).  Rachael had a huge meal of fish & chips, and I had a huger spread of sausage, bacon, eggs and chips.  Fat City!  Much revived, we retired to the motorcamp to do laundry, read and rest up.  

## West_coast_x.jpg ##

Somewhere along the west coast. It may not have been on this day actually, but it seems like something should be here so it's a placeholder. Unfortunately when we got home I discovered that half of a roll of film had been ruined so I've just got my memory to work from. Good enough reason to go back, don't you think?
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 645 miles (1,038 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0