Aukland to Salem - New Zealand 1991 - CycleBlaze

January 11, 1992

Aukland to Salem

We found breakfast at the next door cafe and then walked to Victoria Park Market, an area of many shops, where we purchased gifts and indulged ourselves with shirts for each of us and an assortment of items for friends and family.  We then walked a few blocks to the bike store to pick up two bike boxes; had lunch at the noisy bar; then walked up to the Domain until time to leave for the airport.  

The Domain was a final delight of the trip.  The War Museum was a fascinating place, with the world's largest collection of SouthSea Island artifacts - intriguing masks, utensils, clubs, canoes, et cetera.  Also had a special exhibit on kiwis and moas.

We took the shuttle to the airport, armed with our luggage and two bulky bike boxes, arriving at 6 - about 2 and a half hours before departure.  We needed it all.  Bike disassembly was stressful and enraging - I can't believe they don't stock bike boxes there - the queues were very long, very slow - we ended up with only a few minutes to spare.

And, the journal is complete - I ended up with no more room to write in my notebook!

At the War Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the War Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the War Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the War Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last great war canoe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0