Day48 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

April 10, 2018

Day48

Gulf Shores, Alabama to Milton, Florida

Miles: 59.4              Elevation: 1174 ft.              Winds: Light from NE           Flats: 0 

Vicky and Bill Sadin arrived at our hotel early this morning to join us in part of todays ride. Unfortunately Bill's radar app was showing a brisk rain storm in the area and we waiting an hour until it was past. We then set out through the lovely Hugh Branyon Back Country Trail . A scenic quiet paved trail led us throughout Gulf Shores for 10 miles to Perdido Beach. Along the way we ran into Steve from Wyoming  who we hadn't seen since New Mexico. He rode along with us until Pensacola.

A lovely treat we witnessed the Blue Angels flight team who were out practicing as they are stationed out of Naval Air Station in Pensacola. Unfortunately  trying to take a photo of them proved impossible for me, by the time I spotted them they were gone. Beautiful to watch though. 

At the Florida-Alabama border we stopped to see the famed Flora-Bama, music/bar/restaurant/gift place. They have 5 venues where bands play all weekend. 

Bridges and waterways were the underlying theme today. We rode along the costal highway and crossed several bridges and causeways. Pretty but not Jeff's cup of tea. Highway 90 through and out of Pensacola was quite busy and the shoulders were either super good with designated bike lanes or very narrow  with a curb. It was on one of these that Tim had a terrible  fall. He is favoring his back and hip tonight as he fell hard. Nothing appears broken and we will see how sore he is tomorrow and judge the appropriateness of his riding then. '

In Pensacola we were happy to meet up with Maya, from Alaska and her traveling comparing Bart from the Netherlands. We haven't seen them in weeks. Abby is not with them up only a few days behind. 

We were quite relieved to arrive here in Milton, Fl. around 4:30 PM. 

Dinner and plans for tomorrow. Looks like if all goes well and we have perfect weather we very well make St. Augustine by April 20 or 21. 

Seeing familiar faces of fellow riders along the way
Heart 2 Comment 0
beautiful Gulf Beaches
Heart 0 Comment 0
fun signs
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 2,270 miles (3,653 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Martha ColeDonna, I have soooo enjoyed your journal. I had 1/2 day off & finally caught up your entries though today. I'm wicked jealous & I'm counting down the days until retirement. I've heard of the Flora-Bama; how was the music? Keep safe but excited! Martha Cole
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Martha ColeHi Martha
Unfortunately We were to early in the day to hear the music but I did a walk through, we will just have to plan a weekend & go there next winter.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago