Day 49 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

April 11, 2018

Day 49

Milton Fl, to Mossy Head, Fl

Miles:  51.3           Elevation:  1462 Ft.       

   Flats: 0  for us but  George did a wonderful good deed and helped a gentleman here in Mossy Heads with a flat and supplied him with a new tube. 

A pleasant ride today. Sunny and mid 70's with a 5-7mph. Easterly wind. If someone tells you that Florida is flat, please set them straight , we climbed lots of hills today  including one with a 5.5% max. grade. and others that were around 5%. Our ride started on the Black Water Heritage State Trail and we rode this for 10 miles. This is a rails to trails route managed by the State of Fl. Check out their web site as its a great route to ride.The next 15 miles  of our journey was back roads , until Highway #90 which for the most part had a wide shoulder to ride. We did encounter some difficulty in the village of Crestview where we took to the sidewalk as the shoulder disappeared completely.  Another place the shoulder diminished was over the Shoal River Bridge. Jeff and I were fortunate as George arrived in the motor home just as we approached the bridge, he stayed back and kept traffic back as we crossed the bridge, Tim and Maggie did it unassisted , took the lane and made it safely across. 

Tim did very well riding today  in spite of  his fall yesterday, we notice he favored his back early in the day but limbered up and did great as the day wore on. 

We arrived at the well located Sleep Inn, which is visible from #90 around 3:30 and were warmly greeted by staff here. A good day. 

 

rails to trail riding
Heart 0 Comment 0
perfectly named Hamlet near Crestview, Fl
Heart 0 Comment 0
smoke was in the air, we didn't find the source but speculated it might be clearing out brush
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 2,321 miles (3,735 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0