Day1 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

February 18, 2018

Day1

A nice day to iron out the kinks.

Day one was a challenging ride with plenty of hill climbing, 3500 ft of elevation . Getting out of the city of SanDiego wasn't  too  bad   having selected a Sunday morning  start provided us with low amounts of traffic to worry about.   Tim's planning found us as many bike trails as possible to ride. Out of the city we travelled suburban neighborhood and then   historic highway #80 which  had  shared bike lanes or wide shoulders  in most places. Rode through Mission Trails Regional Park  home to California's oldest Mission  as well as many miles of hiking trails.Stopped about 10.5miles from our destination for lunch break. The combination of brutal hills  and a flat tire physically drained us .Very happy to have reached our destination.

Day 1 Route
Heart 7 Comment 0
beautiful hills to look at, tough to ride
Heart 3 Comment 0
we travel on this highway frequently
Heart 4 Comment 0
Maggie reviews the cue sheet, with Jeff and Tim
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bob Reidso what you are saying is that "it's a good job the girls came along)??
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Bob ReidAbsolutely Bob!!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
more hills ahead
Heart 3 Comment 0

Spent the night at the most welcoming, comfortable  Viejas Casino Resort in Alpine,Ca. George was able to park his motor home in the resort parking lot at no cost. 

Viejas Casino Resort
Heart 4 Comment 0

A good day to work out the minor kinks and adjustments necessary with our bikes and equipment. 

Flats for the day: 2

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 53 miles (85 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Lolly GlennanGreat going... looks like the weather was very favorable. I’m thinking of you all and cheering from gloomy upstate NY. Can’t wait to get back to the sunshine 🌞
Glad you have such wonderful support right there with you. You’ll be pros at changing those tires by the time you get home.
Good luck
Lolly and Don
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Lyle Montgomery3500 feet is a lot of climbing for one day. No wonder you all were drained! Love the pictures. Following you from afar.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Bob ReidHey Donna, looks more comfortable than a tent, and no duct tape required!!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago