Day 46 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2018

Day 46

10 Mile Rd, MS to state line at Alabama

Miles: 57.3                   Elevation: 1591        Flats: 0                Winds: low 

A good ride today with no problem areas, no roads closed, no bridges out, roads were new chip seal and in good condition. Last 10 miles was a little more hectic with increased traffic and no shoulders to ride. 

Mike and Lyle Montgomery joined us for the ride today, Mike tried out my e-assist and states that it is the wave of the future, a Tesla on two wheels. Lyle completed a personal quest to ride across the state of Mississippi , congratulations Lyle.  

Maggie swears she saw a zebra at the Triple S Ranch, Tim doesn't discredit this, no photo, sorry. 

George takes SAGGing to a Whole New Level and now includes drive-through coffee delivery. 

During the ride the group crossed the Pascagoula River and rode through a portion of the DeSoto National Forest. Besides trails the park was also a P.O.W.  camp for German soldiers during WW2.

Wikipedia: 

De Soto National Forest, named for 16th-century explorer Hernando de Soto, is 518,587 acres (810 sq mi; 2,099 km2) of pine forests in southern Mississippi. It is one of the most important protected areas for the biological diversity of the Gulf Coast ecoregion of North America. It is a nationally important site for protection of longleaf pine savannas, pine flatwoods, and longleaf pine forests. More than 90 percent of this ecosystem type has been lost in the United States. The wet pine savannas support rare and endangered plant and animal species, such as the orchid Calopogon multiflorusgopher frogs, and gopher tortoises. These habitats also have large numbers of carnivorous plants, particularly pitcher plants; Buttercup Flats has an international reputation in this regard.

De Soto National Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride ended at the state line  of Alabama, another state completed. 

newest SAG service, drive through coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mike Montgomery tries out "My two wheeled Tesla"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pascagoula River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alabama State Line
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 2,157 miles (3,471 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0