Day 4 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

February 21, 2018

Day 4

Calexico,Ca to Yuma,AZ

Day 4     Calexico,CA - Yuma, AZ

No phone service, no internet serivce last night at our Econo Motel thus a little late posting this. 

Woke up today and it was 35 degrees  by 8 our start time it had climed to  43 degrees, as like yesterday we layered up and peeled off layers throughout the day.  A beautiful day for a bike ride with clear skies and plenty of sun . 

From Calexico we ride  highway  #98 and followed 98 for the majority of the day. 

We were required to ride on Interstate 8 two different times today. Traffic was especially courteous of us. We encountered construction and were given permission to ride a mile or two on roads under construction,concrete down but no ashphalt. 

The landscape leaving Calexico began with acres and acres of solar farms which gave way to beautiful green fields of hay and other produce. A large system of canals work to irrigate this area. 

Riding through Yuha Desert we encounterd miles and miles of beautiful sand dunes and were able to see dune buggie riders having a great time on the dunes. 

One thing we noticed was the lack of places to stop and buy supplies. One has to prepare well for hydration and snacks. We are so fortunate to have our support vechicle and driver here. George usually drives out about 15 miles where we can meet his for a bathroom & water break. 

20 miles later we’ll find him again where we will break for lunch and to fill our water containers. 

Of special mentioned were two different rodes on our trip today, after the freeway we were directed to The Center of the World Rd. nice name, horrible road, five miles of broken, heaved road. Not sure how we made it through without broken bikes or flat tires. In contrast was the beautiful, smooth little travel Evan Hughes Bypass. If riding in this aera and you have a choice avoid the first and welcome the latter.

Arrived just outside of Yuma,AZ late afternoon, dissembled our bikes for trailering them to the motel in Yuma. We always err on the side of saftey and if we must ride through busy cities to our lodging we will find back streets to get there, or as today drive if no safe route can be found. 

Flats: one , Tim rode over one of the nasty thin pieces of wires you read about from the big transport trucks 

George is doing well and riding 8-10 miles most days. 

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 152 miles (245 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jeannie BylerDid I tell you that I love this journal. Just love documentaries and this is the best!!! ❤️😊💫
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Bob ReidI agree with Jeannie. Happy Birthday George, Glad to hear your looking after all the family!!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Jeannie BylerJeanie and Bob
George is doing a fine job of taking care of us, couldn't do it without him.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago